Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine swap, Impreza to Legacy

I'm looking at an engine out of a 98 Impreza OBS 2.2, to put in my 97 Lego wagon.

The Lego has a 2.2 but it needs heads done. They are both automatic.

Will the wiring harnesses match up okay? Are there any differences to deal with?

they need to both have EGR. the Ej25 will have EGR, the EJ22 may not, the auto's almost always are but i have seen (and still have the motor in my garage), automatic EJ22 OBS's without EGR.

you'll need the exhaust manifold. the EJ25 is dual port, the EJ22 is single port. but get the manifold and it bolts right in place, easy as pie.

bellhousing bolt pattern changed from 4 bolts to 8 bolts somewhere around 1998. that doesn't matter though either, just use the 4 bolt holes available and leave the others empty if that's the case. it only has 4 bolts holding them together now and those 4 line up with 4 of the 8 in the newer stuff.

keep the legacy engine on hand to swap over whatever power steering brackets, a/c brackets from the EJ25 onto the Ej22 you need for everything to bolt up clean. it's really easy - everything swaps right over.

GG,

He said the Lego already had a 2.2 that's why I didn't mention the Y-pipe.

copy, i missed that.

2.2 into a 2.2. that's really easy, definitely no wiring differences. make sure the years are right as in 1999 the 2.2 is completely different Phase II and won't work. make sure they both have EGR if you don't want a check engine light.

that being said, repairing the EJ22 may be a good option. if it wasn't run hot and abused i'd just do a head job and call it a day.

I'm looking at an engine out of a 98 Impreza OBS 2.2, to put in my 97 Lego wagon.

The Lego has a 2.2 but it needs heads done. They are both automatic.

Will the wiring harnesses match up okay? Are there any differences to deal with?

Same engine. Possibly 1 or two vacuum hoses might be different, no big deal.

They are both 2.2 with automatics. Just not sure about any differences between Impreza 98 and Legacy 97.

I have not seen the other engine yet. Going to get it tomorrow.

Is there a guide for engine removal/installation somewhere?

Is there a guide for engine removal/installation somewhere?

there used to be several. i bookmarked one a long time ago and i have lost more than one hard drive since then so i can't help with out a search.

but my advice for speed is , to cut every connection, wire or hose, on the donor car on the car end. and cut every connection on your actual car on the engine end. this will leave you with a complete hookup for every connection, hopefully.

if time is not an issue, disconnect all tubing and wires from the engine you are removing from your car. this will leave you with all the stuff you need to re-connect.

Just not sure about any differences between Impreza 98 and Legacy 97.
read this thread. ignore what you keep asking/thinking. impreza/legacy does not matter, wipe that from your mind and quit asking about it because it doesn't mean anything.

what you want to know is if they both have EGR or not. unless you don't care about check engine lights or some extra work to make it work, in which case you should ask if it's something you want to dig inot. if they both have EGR or both do not have EGR it's a plug and play easy swap.