Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 Subaru XT? or is it?

My friend recently purchased a 1989 xt from a dealership. the car will not stay running on a cold start and has had a stumbling idle. after testing the fuel pump and changing the fuel filter we realized the fuel pressure regulator was blown and it was allowing a lot of gas into the vacuum line. thinking this may be the source of our problem we purchased a regulator from autozone. after getting the old one off the car we realized the two were completely different. the one that we bought from autozone was the same part number for all XTs from 85 to 89 and the one we took off the car looked just like the part for the 1991. so we ordered the FPR for the 91 XT but why is it that the 89 XT has a 91 Fuel pressure regulator? We carfaxed the VIN and its definitely an 89

is this a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

XT's are kind of oddballs and sometimes parts aren't always right. maybe they gave you a different FPR - like SPFI or something. EA82's came in carbs, SPFI, MPFI, turbo....

XT was MPFI and the only car to get the spyder manifold. t he 6 cylinder confuses things sometimes - 10 years ago NAPA would give you a 4 cylinder distributor cap if you ordered an XT6 - 6 cylinder distributor cap.

check us out at subaruxt.com for xt specific info - we also have the subaru factory service manuals avialable for free. let me know if you have problems registering, email or PM me here, we're working through a glitch.

its a 4 cylinder MPFI. could you tell me what the spyder manifold is? and that would be great if you could tell me where to go for the Factory Service Manual on the site. I didnt know much about subarus but the XT is a unique car, many many interesting engineering features

Parts nu,bers can overlap in production years, but be different parts based on different platforms for a particular year within the overlaps. Listings for the xt are particularly vague. you said the listing was for 85-89, and there would probably be a listing for 89-91. The xt was sort of a platform bridge between the old ea platforms to the newer ej platform, as is with the XT-6

Clean all the grounds you can find (the FSM has this information, you can find it on subaruxt.com) and also maybe clean up the coil bracket connection a little. Clean up the coolant temperature sensor contacts (on the intake, not the radiator) and inspect the wiring that plugs into it.... may need to replace that! The main wiring harness runs under the carpet/seat on the passenger side, it may be in your best interest to check out the crimp connections on the harness under the sill plate, repair as needed. There's also a ground under there...

There are some things that interchange with the XT but very few. I have an '87 with MPFI and without a turbo. Cool little cars, get tons of compliments, but oh boy are they problematic.... still trying to figure out WHY Subaru put the ECU in the trunk!

its a 4 cylinder MPFI. could you tell me what the spyder manifold is? and that would be great if you could tell me where to go for the Factory Service Manual on the site. I didnt know much about subarus but the XT is a unique car, many many interesting engineering features

This is a spyder intake.

5f3619ca.jpg

Heres the link to the FSM on subaruxt.com.

You need to pick which section you want to read.

http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/Files/FSMs/

Clean all the grounds you can find (the FSM has this information, you can find it on subaruxt.com) and also maybe clean up the coil bracket connection a little. Clean up the coolant temperature sensor contacts (on the intake, not the radiator) and inspect the wiring that plugs into it.... may need to replace that! The main wiring harness runs under the carpet/seat on the passenger side, it may be in your best interest to check out the crimp connections on the harness under the sill plate, repair as needed. There's also a ground under there...

There are some things that interchange with the XT but very few. I have an '87 with MPFI and without a turbo. Cool little cars, get tons of compliments, but oh boy are they problematic.... still trying to figure out WHY Subaru put the ECU in the trunk!

I appreciate the help. when we got the car everything including all panels visors seats etc was covered in ************ty velvet. the shifter was taken off and replaced by a walmart special shift knob with a velvet boot. the trunk was lined with velvet and the car had all of the other walmart specials including but not limited to. chrome vents, sony xplod radio (cheap one) and seat covers. and yes the seat covers were over the velvet already on the seats. taking the velvet out of the trunk i was like what the hell when i saw the ecu lol.

This is a spyder intake.

5f3619ca.jpg

Heres the link to the FSM on subaruxt.com.

You need to pick which section you want to read.

http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/Files/FSMs/

all right cool. ya thats the same setup. just didnt know if it had anything different about it. Im from the Honda side of the room lol. my h22 manifold is different because it has dual runners inside with one opereated by butterfly valves. didnt know if the xt had something similar