Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat motor swap questions.

I just bought a 86 brat without a motor trans or axles and I have a 1985 wagon with the EA82 and a 5 speed in it. What all do I need to take out of the wagon to do the swap? Is it the same motor as what was originally in the brat? I'm scrapping the wagon and don't want to forget something I'm going to need. I'm also going to be doing a 4 inch lift and was wondering what size tires will fit with a 14 and with a 15 inch wheel. I have a set of 14 inch pug wheels on it now but may get a set of 15's so I have more tire options. Thanks for any help I get.

I just bought a 86 brat without a motor trans or axles and I have a 1985 wagon with the EA82 and a 5 speed in it. What all do I need to take out of the wagon to do the swap? Is it the same motor as what was originally in the brat? I'm scrapping the wagon and don't want to forget something I'm going to need. I'm also going to be doing a 4 inch lift and was wondering what size tires will fit with a 14 and with a 15 inch wheel. I have a set of 14 inch pug wheels on it now but may get a set of 15's so I have more tire options. Thanks for any help I get.

the 1985 engine is crb, and is very similar schematically to the brat, and would plug and play for the most part. This is easy. Folks would suggest ej22, but that involves wiring harness and fuel pump/lines. If you do not have the original motor, the ea82 will be 90% a direct fit, save for some hoses and wires.

get the trans, the driveshaft, the rear trailing arms, and everything with the motor. Everything will locate the same. you may have to beat out the trans tunnel for the rear half of the trans, or cut some of the shifter hole out for the lift, or modify your own shifter rod.

It is possible to swap a complete ea82 driveline and front suspension as it has been done before(the infamous trashwagon)

Trans tunnel wont have to be beat out if the 4 inch lift is done at the same time. Would only have to worry about the trans crossmember and then welding in the brackets for the carrier bearing for the driveline.

As for tires. I have a 4 inch on my brat with 15 inch wheels and 215/75r15 tires. Slight rubbing but nothing major. note* my wheels have more offset then most other 15 inch wheeled subarus.

check the width of the EA82 cam belt covers against the width of the engine bay between the frame rails....i have a EJ in my Brumby(BRAT) and its a tight fit, and the EA82 engine is a bit wider that the EJ

remember to get the rear driveshaft and center bearing....or be prepared to get a one piece driveshaft made up (which is what i did)

if your going to run EA82 front hubs you will need to sort out the top hat on the top of the suspension strut...the brat uses a 2 bolt mount and the EA82 uses a 3 bolt strut cap

also check your spring diameters on the front struts...EJ springs are too large in diameter to fit in the EA81 strut tower...you may get away with EA82 springs if they are the same diameter as the brat springs

due to the spring size problem i'm running tein aftermarket adjustables because they have a much smaller spring diameter than any Subaru springs

ea81 gearbox mounts can be altered to fit on the EA82 box but the extra weight at the back of the 5 spd box doesn't do their life expectancy much good

Cheers

Callum

Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby
my spelling blows

check the width of the EA82 cam belt covers against the width of the engine bay between the frame rails....i have a EJ in my Brumby(BRAT) and its a tight fit, and the EA82 engine is a bit wider that the EJ

This an be avoided by removing the inner and outer covers. it should not be a problem with a lift.

I am currently running an 88 EA82 in my 83 Brat with a 3at behind it. For a carbed engine it is fairly easy to wire. Mine is spfi so was a little harder. You will have to relocate the proportioning valve and possibly the hill holder if you use it. If you use the EA81 radiator ( I did ) the upper hose is easy just use stock hose but the lower either has to have the outlet change to EA82 style and direction or use 2 EA82 hoses and a spice ( I did ). The motor mounts are EA82 and you can either slot the frame or leave the mount loose a the engine until you drop it in. If you are using EA82 trans you will have to ask others as I am using the auto and didn't have to change anything. Change all seals and valve cover gaskets BEFORE putting the engine in otherwise you will have to raise the engine to do the valve cover gaskets. I was dumb and had to do it.

Ran an EA82 in my '82 BRAT, it was in it when I bought it. There is about 3/8" of clearance from the valve covers to the frame rails. A bit tighter on the driver's side near the disty. But it will fit.

You need to lengthen the EA82 disty wires to the coil, but that's the only wiring on the engine you have to change.

If you go with the EA82's 5-speed trans, you have to adapt it's wiring to the BRAT. I have that info around here,,,, somewhere.

If you keep the Hill-Holder, you need to move it towards the firewall the distance of it's mounting holes. This is to clear the disty.

You can remove the HH and install a "Tee" fitting in the lines also.

I know the EA82's lower radiator hose fits the upper return to the EA81's radiator with some trimming. Not sure on a lower hose though, as mine had the EA82 radiator adapted in.

I would also leave the waterpump mounted fan off, and install another electric fan. The WP mounted one is to close to the radiator for my liking.

I also have the info on here about the 5 speed swap wiring.

And I also just hooked up my hh to my 5 speed trans and only had to use the round dowel pin from the ea82 trans due to it's longer. Works fine without moving anything.

I also have the info on here about the 5 speed swap wiring.

And I also just hooked up my hh to my 5 speed trans and only had to use the round dowel pin from the ea82 trans due to it's longer. Works fine without moving anything.

Thinking it's not a "need to do it" thing with moving the Hill-Holder valve, it just leaves more room around the disty.

Person that swapped the EA82 into my '82, just unbolted the HH and left it hanging. I removed it when I pulled the engine for a reseal. But I did play around with it's actuall fit with it installed, both Factory and relocated.