Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant leak from hole in head

I had a valve grind on .the right (cylinder 1 and 3) on my 86 xt turbo (EA82). The #1 intake valve was not seating properly. After reinstalling and puttting in the coolant water, it leaked out of a hole on the rear (head is on right). The hole is manufactured as I have another one that has the same holes, but this now leaks water. I guess, I will have to remove this head again and send it back to the machine shop. But I would like to know what is happening.

Edited by twhb

you probably just need to install a bolt in the hole. it's right at the corner/edge of the head right? i think i know which one you're talking about. if i was home i'd walk out to my garage and check but from memory there are holes that are plugged with a bolt on top of the heads. maybe it was removed and just needs reinstalled? if it's a threaded hole then plug it up with a bolt.

can you post a picture of it?

There is a drain plug on the driver side head. Perhaps it was removed for machining. This is the same hole on the driver side head that the turbo water pipe goes to.
there you go, that one is the one i'm thinking of, i thought it was probably intended for turbo's.

• 7 years later...