Ultimate Subaru Message Board

With a 4.111 FD and 5th gear ratio of 0.871, and assuming you have a stock tire size of 205/75/15.

At 60 you should be turning 2745 RPM

At 70 it would be 3202

I just want to know how much the gas milage would be effected by no 5th gear

20 - 25%

just a guess.

put it in 4th and note the rpm. then do the math.

seems kinda high.. I can't remember but I think 60 is somewhere around 3500 or their about

but I thought fuel was based on the throttle position?

I got my fuel calculation finally 18 MPG however I expect it to go up to around 20-22 while trying to maintain 60 mph.

only thing is basing off the current numbers I have I can't figure out how much that would get me from the tank.. around 300 or so?

I got my fuel calculation finally 18 MPG however I expect it to go up to around 20-22 while trying to maintain 60 mph.

only thing is basing off the current numbers I have I can't figure out how much that would get me from the tank.. around 300 or so?

Miles per gallon x gallons per tank = miles per tank

Wouldn't a five speed have a 3.9 front and rear diff gear ratio?

Legacy L 2.2 model would. Outback manual had 4.11s.

15.9 gallon tank would net you ~286 miles run dry. Go 220ish and fill it up to stay on the safe side.

They're assuming you'll get closer to 30 mpg.

You need to hit 25 mpg to get 400 out of a tank if you run it dry. But how often do you run the tank dry or nearly dry before filling up? Realistically you fill up with about 3-4 gallons left in the tank. That's about what you have left when the gauge hits the E mark.

So figure 12 gallons at 25 mpg = 300 miles between fill ups.

I've taken my sedan on several trips where I went 400+ miles on a tank. Could have gone farther too. The last one I was at about 415 and filled up with ~12.5 gallons.

My wagon barely made 300 on the same amount (12.5 gallons) during the trip I took a few weeks ago.

the above statement could be 8 gals which would be over 34 mpg. that is not likely, but maybe possible.

how many gallons did you put in the tank?

i put in 12.61

About to get gas again gas resting on the e line with 280 miles