Ultimate Subaru Message Board

While trying to install the new timing belt on my 06 Forester non-turbo with atomatic the driver's cam shaft moved, with a snapping motion to the five o'clock position. What should I do to get the driver's cam back in time. Thank you.

If you took the tbelt off in the proper position (keyway straight down on the crank) no prob just put the cam in the proper position because all the pistons are halfway in thus the valves will not hit the pistons. In the event that you just randomly took the timing belt off, slowly rotate the crank by hand. if it stops you stop NO FORCE. If that happened have it towed to a Professional shop to save you.

You should be able to rotate the camshaft sprocket back into the proper position using a strap wrench or maybe even by hand. You will have to overcome the spring tension of the valves, and be careful as you get to the proper position not to overshoot and have it snap out of position...

Matt

yeah just rotate it back where it came from.

Thanks Gary. This my first timing belt, so I'm at this. Do you mean rotate the cam the rest of the way clockwise into position?. Or do you mean rotate the cam counter clockwise back into postition? I think I remember reading to never rotate the cams or crank backwards.

Thanks Gary. This my first timing belt, so I'm at this. Do you mean rotate the cam the rest of the way clockwise into position?. Or do you mean rotate the cam counter clockwise back into postition? I think I remember reading to never rotate the cams or crank backwards.

as long as the crank is in the correct timing position, it does not matter, you will not hit any thing.

you can rotate either way - truthfully, you're better off (not knowing anything else), just backing it up the way it came from, you know that won't be a problem, rather than rotate it through the rest of the way.

drop in the bucket either way, doesn't matter if the crank is properly set.

To rotate the cams I put gloves on and just do it with my hands. Use gloves though... If you overshoot, it snaps and your finger gets caught between the cam and the timing cover it leaves a wicked bruise if you don't have gloves on.

Wonder how I found that one out :rolleyes:

That's true about rotating by hand, if you miss, it snaps around and fingers will get bruised!!!!

I've done it also...:banghead:

You could also put a wrench on the bolt head and turn it that way if you want to avoid finger crushing...

Matt

To rotate the cams I put gloves on and just do it with my hands. Use gloves though... If you overshoot, it snaps and your finger gets caught between the cam and the timing cover it leaves a wicked bruise if you don't have gloves on.

Wonder how I found that one out :rolleyes:

It sure does, just started the timing belt on my newly acquired 2000 outback... I sure was't ready for that!:lol: