Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A new problem started (no pun intended) yesterday. My car just wouldn't start. No cranking, nothing. All electrical still worked when the key was on. I can hear the starter relay clicking. I tried removing the alarm's kill switch, but it still won't start.

A friend pulled the cable off the starter and tested it while I turned the key, and said there's no power to the solenoid wire. Could it be my ignition switch? I'm suspecting that because it seems loose, and the courtesy beep is (and has been since I've had the car) intermittent.

Is there anything else I should check before changing the ignition switch?

thanks!

I vote ignition switch. jump a wire to start the car. Install a pushbutton, or a relay to solve the issue

Funny you should mention that.

My friend ran a wire from the starter to the inside of the car. He put a cigarette lighter plug on it. To start the car I just turn on the key then put that thing into the socket until the car turns over, then I pull it out.

It's SO GHETTO! ..but it's only temporary until I can get the ignition changed.

Funny you should mention that.

My friend ran a wire from the starter to the inside of the car. He put a cigarette lighter plug on it. To start the car I just turn on the key then put that thing into the socket until the car turns over, then I pull it out.

It's SO GHETTO! ..but it's only temporary until I can get the ignition changed.

that's awesome, can you take a picture? (i'm being serious).

so you have one wire running to a cigarette lighter and you simply push that lighter into the cigarette receptacle and then turn the key and the car starts?

so it's powering the solenoid or....?

I agree with Gary that changing the entire switch is a pain, but you only have to replace the electrical part. That is held onto the endlof the assebly by one or two small screws. Apain to get to, but not impossible. Go for the replacement and have a good ignition again.

I agree with Gary that changing the entire switch is a pain, but you only have to replace the electrical part. That is held onto the endlof the assebly by one or two small screws. Apain to get to, but not impossible. Go for the replacement and have a good ignition again.

is this the part you're talking about?

Subaru Ignition Switch

SO no one has checked the inhibitor switch (or NSS if it is a manual) or tried starting the car in neutral?

I tried starting the car in neutral. No-go.

Also, we used a meter to check the wire going to the starter solenoid and there was nothing while turning the key.

the ignition switch electrical part can go bad. at least it can on my 93 legacy. the sprign inside of it can get weak and not let it contact properly. we were using a finger to press on the back of it to start the car. that gave more tention to the spring and the contact was made and the car started rigth up. we had to drive around withthe plastic cover off of the column . but it worked until we put in a new electrical switch. i had to drop the column down in order to remvoe the screws from the switch. there was no way what so ever to get any kind of small screwdriver in there at all. too much stuff in the way. it sat at the wrong angle too. towards the dash.