Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Used Subaru help!

I'm looking into purchasing a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5L Automatic. It has 85000 miles on it and is just the basic model. The interior is absolutely spotless but we just learned it was in 2 prior accidents but damage was cosmetic. The damaged areas (part of bumper and right light) were replaced with after market parts with missing screws. A hitch was also installed by UHaul but there is a mysterious wire tie wrapped along the bottom of the car dangling. Also, after taking it to a friend who works on race cars he found that the alignment holes in the front part of the frame were bent, perhaps from a bad towing job. The tires also seem warn but useable.But besides the issues i've stated, the exterior and interior of the car is excellent condition. It also has a 1 year warranty and a warranty on the hitch.

The asking price was 14,500 from a private seller but we negotiated to 14,000 before knowing about the issues. We asked them to take it back to a certified subaru mechanic at the dealer and he found no issues with the car.

We went onto kelly blue book and it suggest around 13,500.

Is this car worth pursuing for a lower price if so what price do you suggest or should we walk away?

Thanks everyone!

personally, i would walk away - 2 accidents, evidence of a bad wiring hack job, and possible bad tow job...eh, not for me...not at any price.

there are other Subarus that have been treated better out there

just my two/tenths of a cent worth.

note - Kelly Blue Book is terrible. not typically associated with real world values.

use edmunds instead. also compare to craigslist, local dealer adds, ebay (maybe not so much with such a new vehicle), etc.

does not sound like a good deal at all. 85,000 miles is a hefty amount considering the age, accidents, price. i'd much rather have a few years older subaru in the same price range/mileage.

you could end up with a really nice Subaru in that price range, i'd consider this settling.

just a little tip on vehicle mileage - average is roughly 10,000 per year

that 2007 w/85K is more like 25,000 a year - that is a lot of miles per year

an average 2007 should be somewhere between 30 & 40,000 right now, maybe as much as 50,000 - any more than that....eh, i would need to see ALL service records documenting exceptional care to consider buying it.

I'd walk (maybe even run). There are plenty of good subarus out there that aren't hacked together. Aftermarket parts < Genuine Subaru parts. Say if it has a new fender, its probably thinner metal. "could" effect crash worthiness.

Maybe the front bumper cover has been fixed, but what about the foam under it???