Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight/ Dash light issues

Hello all,

I have been having some odd problems from the Loyale... Since I bought the car a few months ago, there has been a problem where if you stall the car or sometimes even if you just start it up when the headlight switch is in the on position, the dash lights don't work, and if you restart the car they don't kick back on. A few days ago I noticed how dim my left headlight was, so I checked the fuses, but found nothing. Now when I turn the lights on with the key on the switch before starting the car (electronics) the left headlight is dim, the right is normal, and the dash lights are off. When I start the car, after about a second the right headlight kicks into full blast and the dash lights turn on... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Brian

When I bought my 80 wagon I had head light and dash light issues as well. I fixed the head light issue by running a full new power wire to the head lights and running that through an aftermarket fuse box. (got a water tight one for $15 at napa) Then just remove your switch and connect the switches power wire the the new fuse box. Now you dont have to worry about old wiring dimming your lights. Mine are plenty bright now and I have had no issues a year latter. Plus with the new fuse box you have the option to use it for other things ex. Cb (for the wheelers) or a stereo. Also when I installed the fuse box instead of running multiple wires to the battery I made a clean looking set up by taking some heavy gauge amp wire and spicing all 6 wires (i have a 6 plug fuse box) to that one wire and heat shinking the connection thuss only having one wire to connect to my battery. I can post a pic of my set up if you want. Otherwise you probably have some dirrty conections on you stock wiring you should check your plugs and grounds and clean them up.

From what you describe I suggest you check the relays for the headlights. It sounds like both of them may have a problem. If I remember correctly the relay for the left side light provides power for the dash lighting also, but it may be the other way around. The relays are under dash above the steering column I think. Two, in a row of four. Tapping on them may show up the trouble if they are bad.

Thanks guys. Haven't had the chance to check the relays, but I'm gonna try to do that tomorrow. And an update, the dash lights turn on when the light switch to the first toggle the dashlights turn on. Then when you go to the next notch, they turn off any ideas?

From what you describe I suggest you check the relays for the headlights..

+1.

sounds like one (left) isn't working correctly.

When one sides fuse or relay is out, power backfeeds though the ground from the oher side headlight and glows the lamp dim.