Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This might be easy to fix but I've tried everything and I'm kind of a newb. Went for a ride today and when I got to my destination my key would not turn all the way back to the lock position, and will not come out. it goes forward and starts the car just fine, just won't go all the way to lock! Any ideas?

I had this problem on a 95 legact mt. Every now and again the key would not come out, and i would have to wiggle it at odd angles to get it out.

The key cylinder or the key itself will wear out. You can have a locksmith remove a tumbler, as this was a fix for someone i knew with a chrysler van.

if the key itself is worn down, the dealer can produce a fresh one with the VIN. sometimes you get copies of worn keys, and you have generation degradation like when you dub vhs tapes so to speak.

A lot of times if it's an auto the "rod" gets bent and really doesn't tell the ignition it's in park. Sometimes removing the shifter cover can help find the problem, sometimes it IS the problem.

Some cars I believe you can remove the key with the car off in neutral.

Unless I missed it would help to know year and model, as well as auto or stick as folks have been asking.

It's a 93 Impreza automatic. Sorry, I always seem to forget to give enough info lol. I've tried all the basic stuff, but I have noticed that when I press the button on the shifter it doesn't make that click sound it usually does and I understand thats the sound of the key being released.

try using a little bit of force into park. and make sure it locks into park key off. as in the shifter won't go back to reverse or neutral with key off. this is also a theft deterrent locking the car into park until you put the key in and start it next time