Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 99 OBW developed a refrigerant leak. I tried a can of 134 on two separate occasions. System would work for a while, then only blow hot air. Reading a recent post here, someone said that most likely the inlet and outlet hoses to the compressor developed O ring leaks. I replaced the O rings, then added a can of 134 to test if the system had stop leaking. So far, so good, system seems to holding pressure. However, I added the can before having the system vacuumed out. Will the atmospheric air in the system cause any problems? Yea, prolly some moisture has entered the system with the atmospheric air, I know, but is it enough to damage any of the A/C components? I am also guessing that the atmospheric gas is taking up some of the space that should be filled with 134, so the system is not as efficient as it could or should be. Anyone with any thoughts, or suggestions?

My money situation is tight right now, so I would prefer to not spend $129 to have a shop vacuum and recharge the system, particularly, if my A/C system is still leaking.

Thanks for any advise.

130 is cheaper than having your compressor and receiver dryer replaced.

Its a chance you take, but if you fix it right the first time you won't have to fix it twice. It might be ok, if it was only open for a few minutes, but if you left it open for a few days I'd get it sucked down and filled correctly.

It depends how long the system was open. Humidity in the AC system will reduse the ability to cool the car. There is the Receiver/drier that filters and dries out the refirigerant to some degree. You MAY have gotten away with it, but in the future if you cant afford to fix it wait untill you can afford to.

I am afraid to ask, how did you fill the system?

It depends how long the system was open. Humidity in the AC system will reduse the ability to cool the car. There is the Receiver/drier that filters and dries out the refirigerant to some degree. You MAY have gotten away with it, but in the future if you cant afford to fix it wait untill you can afford to.

I am afraid to ask, how did you fill the system?

System was open just a few minutes to replace the O rings, so I cannot imagine that much humidity entered the system. I know better then to leave the system open for days. I used a small 134 can....hose....connected to L port.

I expected you guys to chastise me for my "red neck" work, so I am not surprised or offended. When you are short of money like I am, it is all about stretching the dollars that you do have.

If you take it to the shop, and the vac the system, you will know there is a leak, The pressure will drop and they will see that. Same as pressurizing the system with nitrogen, you will see a drop if it is leaking. I don't think a good shop will add freon to a leaking system.

Geo