Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You need to get the inner tie rod tool from Harbor Freight it is around 50.00 dolllars, I done mine with out it but it was a tough job, so I bought the tool for the next job.

100.00 dollars sounds fair if you dont want to mess with it.

That doesn't seem too bad. Subaru inner tie rod replacement is not too hard to replace without removing the rack if you have the tool. Sometimes loosening the jam nut is the hardest part. That and getting the blasted steering gear boot to go back over the rack. The lock washer can be reused if you don't have a new one provided it can be rotated to get a fresh spot to bend the ears over.

Thanks guys. Yeah, got the parts, I don't fully want to mess with it. Been hearing / feeling some clunking going over bumps etc, and there is definitely play in the wheels - so this seems like a good bet.

I appreciate it - just wanted to make sure $100 for labor on this was good to go.

Just remember, you'll need an alignment after you do the tie rods. I am doing both sides (driver and passenger) and replacing both the inner and outter tie rods. I was smart and got the lifetime alignment by Firestone last year, so I don't have to pay for it again.