Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this Torque Converter seated? Pics

1992 Legacy Wagon.

Before I separated the engine and tranny, I was able to push the TQ back into the bell housing a 1/4" or so. I intended to leave it that way and have a smooth, clean separation of the engine and tranny. It didn't work out that way. There was some clunking and sudden dis engagement that caused me to lose track of the position of the Torque Converter. Anyway, will someone take a look at these pics?

The mounting ears are protruding forward of the bell housing mating surface by about 0"-1/16". In other words, darn near flush. Is that right?

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

Yep - it's fully seated. You're good to go. Line up one of the ears with the location of the access hole on the engine side so it's easy to stab in the first flex plate bolt.

The difinitive test is that as you rotate the TC you should be able to just barely keep it from touching the starter gear. Usually if you just spin them without supporting them in the center they will "grind" against the starter gear till they are pulled forward away from it by the flex-plate.

GD