Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water getting into cargo area - '92 Leg. Swagon

Taking on water. Looks like left side. Tail light (left) I sealed like a madman. Did it a second time and water tested it. All looked good but I could see one tiny hole where the bumper side (wrap around) anchors into the rear quarter panel. That hole comes into the car jack/washer fluid bottle well directly. To me this this looked like too small of a leak to take on so much water. Anyone else have such an issue?

Water after strong rain equals about 2-3 inches in the jack well and about the same in the spare tire well. It manages to get into the rearmost portion of the "tool/junk tray" that sits over the spare tire.

Checked the hatch door seal and all over pretty good. Next thing I do if no answer here is to take all the panels off and lay in the back while somebody hoses it down.

Thanks for any help.

Roof rack - yes. Checked it pretty good and no trace of water running down a window , etc. I dd a hose down with the panel off on that side and saw nothing but for what I mentioned where the bumper wraps around and bolts onto the rear quarter.

Might be that I just didn't see something but the roof rack was my first thouht too.

The water consistantly comes in from the same corner so if it were the rack I'd guess its that left rear mounting base.

Here's one for laughs - just 5 months ago. Yeeeooooww!!

picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=2846

Anyhow , I was looking for a pic of my car with the rack but I don't have a good one handy. I'm wondering if that left rear mount is really that far back and that far to the side that the water would only go to that corner.Ceiling liner looks fine - no water spots - just well abused from ladders ,etc.

No rust around the glass. All seals look fine.

Whoa ! It's not only super dry in the spare well it even dried up the 2 inches that was in the driver's side "jackstand/water bottle" well. :banana:

No drain hole there so it must have evaporated with the sun's heat.

So I must have gotten it with the last dab of sealer I used on that bumper stud hole. I was expecting to at least see water there that I'd left the other day. We had a blast of a storm last night so if it didn't get wet last night I should be good to go. - I hope.