Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5Spd D/R SWAP

I posted the other day about putting a D/R 5Spd in my 88' DL Wagon and the impression I got was that it would be a fairly straight-forward swap other than some wiring. But on reflexion it would appear that some parts would be needed other than just the Tranny. Is the D/R shifted manually or electrically?

Does someone out there have or know of a "RECIPE" of Parts for the swap Im considering???? I mean some things are a given as you already have the Tranny out. This must be common as its benefits are obvious. Can someone steer me into a paper solution, I think ( I Hope!! ) I can handle the labor end.

Is this a swap from an auto or a single range 5 spd?

If from a single range five speed this is what you'll need:

5 speed dual range gearbox. Gear selector with the hi/lo range selector + console to match. Your prop shaft will slot straight in and the gearbox will bolt straight to the gearbox crossmember. The clutch should be the same.

If you've got an auto you'll need that ^^^ plus clutch pedal box, flywheel/clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork (if it doesn't come on the gearbox), gearbox crossmember and probably the prop shaft, at the very least the front section unless the centre bearing is in a different location for the auto, but I doubt it.

Cheers

Bennie

I take it that the Hi/Lo selector is electric , or is it manual?

There are both kinds. The preferred tranny is manual/mechanical. But there is also a push button which I think is electric and would need the solenoids and such.( I honestly cannot say beyond that as I do not have either kind ) As far as bolting up both will without any problems.

Mike

The Dual Range 5 Speed is shifted into 4WD via a mechanical lever such as this and is NOT electric.

OIKIn.jpg

Or

6242840011_large.jpg

Both Transmissions above are the same, the only difference is the 4WD shifter.

The Single Range 4WD that came in Loyales/DLs IS electric and looks like this.

0FI9r.jpg

You will need the top one with what el_freddo stated.

Edited by Vegablade

Anything with the push button on the gearstick is SINGLE RANGE ONLY as Vegablade has already said. Over here these were only available in pre '87 L series wagons and were 3.9 ratio I believe. The dual range gearboxes from the same era were also 3.9 ratio.

Post '87 I've never seen a single range 4wd and the dual range gearboxes are all 3.7 ratio. So make sure you match the rear diff to that of the gearbox or your subi will do weird things/break stuff when you engage 4wd.

You still haven't told us if you have an auto 4wd or a manual 2wd. I say the manual 2wd as you'll need the rear subframe, diff, drive shaft, swing-arms with 4wd hubs (should be on the subframe already), moustache bar and mounts to make it all work. If you had a 4wd manual you would already have the single range if you're looking to go to dual range...

The auto 4wd will already have the rear end you need, but probably not the matching diff ratio of the manual gearbox.

Cheers

Bennie

I totally forgot about push buttons being only single range. I will now go back to my corner and be a spectator. And maybe munch on some humble pie.

You don't need to do that. It's all about learning here ;)

Cheers

Bennie

if your car is a 4WD auto it is 3.9 ratio in this case you will just need a D/R trans and the peddles ect. all D/R trans are 3.9 unless from a turbo rig then it is 3.7 those are the basics there are a few other options but if you just find a plain jane 5sp D/R car thats all the parts you will need.

OH THERE ARE NO ELECTRIC D/R TRANSMISSIONS.

Cheers R.