Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1-3-2-4's head gasket replacement

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found the problem!! the bolt had threads the whole length of the bolt for the new TB tensioner so I swapped the sleeve from the old and the bolt and set to 29-ft lb and it works!

lesson learned don't throw away old parts until you for sure double.. triple check to make sure everything lines up like it was before!

I'm almost done!!!

One issue I have is trying to get the tranny to line up with the clutch and the pins to slide into the tranny.. When I pulled the motor I jacked the tranny up but now that I'm trying to put it back in should I lower it?

It seems a little impossible to get the pins and the splines to all bolt in

I'm almost done!!!

One issue I have is trying to get the tranny to line up with the clutch and the pins to slide into the tranny.. When I pulled the motor I jacked the tranny up but now that I'm trying to put it back in should I lower it?

It seems a little impossible to get the pins and the splines to all bolt in

Just get everything as lined up as you can. Sometimes it helps having a wrench on the crank so you can turn the engine a bit while trying to made it. Helps line the splines up.

It can be a real pain on any car with a manual.

Just get everything as lined up as you can. Sometimes it helps having a wrench on the crank so you can turn the engine a bit while trying to made it. Helps line the splines up.

It can be a real pain on any car with a manual.

Like if I try and get the motor mounts in the hole the pins are still too high.. I might have to adjust the angle of the engine on the chain but hope not.

Ok I adjusted the chain and I've got like a 3/8" gap left but how far do I need to go before the splines on the tranny catch??

I took the jack off the tranny to lower it but the tranny is still raised :confused: I thought the transmission only used one transmission mount? So What's keeping it up while I got the motor almost on the transmission?

IMAG0842.jpg

IMAG0843.jpg

IMAG0844.jpg

this is my first time pulling a subaru motor and a manual one at that so I'm not sure how close stuff should be before the splines line up on the trans.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

yeah I don't see it anymore but I'm going to monitor for the first 1,000 miles.

one more thing sometimes my idle is still a little too high when stopped like 1,000 rpms and sometimes it's normal around 750.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

I just have to remember to change over to antifreeze before it gets cooler as I'm running straight water right now.

I was thinking about adding a little water wetter to it. any pros or cons about that?

lol

IMAG0082-1.jpg

You probably shouldn't run straight water because glycol is an anti-corrosive and necessary for modern cooling system.

You probably shouldn't run straight water because glycol is an anti-corrosive and necessary for modern cooling system.

yeah I don't plan on running it for long it's just what I had on hand.. trust me it's going to feel good not having to buy a bottle like every 3 weeks or more if it boiled out.

Same goes for oil.. I had so many oil leaks I had to buy a qt every week.

almost coming up to 2 weeks in and my overflow bottle is still at it's proper full line mark and my oil level is fine :D

I've got about 680 more miles to put on the car before I make my final 1,000 test, after that I will feel ok for 3+ hour trips.

If you messed something up it would have showed up by now. I'd say it's fine.

Nice job!

hah you are right I guess never hurts to be extra cautious.. haha the funny thing with all of this is I have a friend down the street that has a wrx wagon it's a '03 and he saw me pulling my motor, and he was like damn bro you have it all apart (had the heads off at the time) haha so we said he has this motor in his basement that he did not know what was wrong with it.. long story short it was a Ej20 block with one of the pistons removed (wow those bores are small) he was wondering what he could do with it since he did not know what was wrong with it or what car it came from (schooled him) I'm not sure if they removed the piston because of rod knock or whatever