Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 GL Wagon with Low oil pressure

So on my '87 EA82 at idle I have low oil pressure at idle according to the dash gauge. I believe that this has also caused a lifter tick on the passenger side. I think my oil pump is worn out but I'm not to sure. I was hoping for other suggestions before I set out on the wild goose chase.

So on my '87 EA82 at idle I have low oil pressure at idle according to the dash gauge. I believe that this has also caused a lifter tick on the passenger side. I think my oil pump is worn out but I'm not to sure. I was hoping for other suggestions before I set out on the wild goose chase.

How low?

What pressure do you have when you're driving along?

Gauge is horiible. Near zero pressure at idle warm is normal.

Teh oil pump seal and the cam tower o-rinds would be cause for the ticking, or lower pressure.

The oil pump never fails unless it was starved for oil(driving with NO oil)

It's an easy fix if you take the time. Cam twer or ings require removing the cam towers, but it's a good excuse for an all around re-seal, do timing belts and water pump at same time.

Thanks Miles. As for how low the needle is right above the bottom mark when it is warmed up. And when I'm driving around at regular operating temps the needle moves to "45psi" which is right in the middle

Edited by AK_Kev_007

I would also say that the factory gauges aren't the greatest for giving an accurate reading - but they're good to look at and give you an idea of what's happening under the bonnet.

An aftermarket set of gauges would be much more accurate than what the factory instrument cluster displays and will give you a clearer understanding of what's happening with your engine.

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks Miles. As for how low the needle is right above the bottom mark when it is warmed up. And when I'm driving around at regular operating temps the needle moves to "45psi" which is right in the middle

This is very normal for the stock guages - not really something to worry about.

if your pressure drops while driving, then you need to worry. :eek: