Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I guess this is my week to work on Subarus. my 97 impreza outback (2.2 5 speed) started an odd hesitation this past week. I was driving through a pretty big rain storm and the engine would just lose power, a second or two later, it would just bounce right back like nothing had happened. it has been back and forth like this for a while. Power will go down, down, down then Boom! it will lurch forward and off we go. Seems to only show up when the engine is warmed. haven't noticed any difference with accessories/AC etc being on. Any ideas?

Do you think some water got into the plug wires? where the plug wires connect to the spark plugs i had my 98 hezitating right after wahsing the motor and I had water in my plug wires so I blew em out with air and it ran fine. I guess if it does it when its dry then thats not the case.

Thought that too but didn't seem like normal hesitation associated with plug/wires. Replaced them just to be sure (Don't know when the previous owner did it last.) Seems slightly better now but not fixed.

CEL has been on since I got the car due to a bad 02 sensor. Pulled the codes today to see if anything else showed up. Got the forward sensor and two emissions codes (About as expected.) and one for a knock sensor. Could the knock sensor cause the issues described?

• 4 weeks later...

Are you sure there are no misfire codes?

Whenever it rains, I always get a misfire code for cylinders 3 or 4. I shrug it off, reset the code and go on my merry way, but I image that it could become a driveability problem...

There is no harm in pulling all of the wires, and checking for corrosion/gunk at the ends...also check for corrosion on the terminals of the coil itself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...