Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear hub/drum removal help

I am finally got around to finish machining my hubs for honda rims. I ran into a problem with thne rear drums. The pin that goes through the axle to prevent the nut from backing out, has rusted in. It will not budge, and in my many attempts of removal, I have seemed to snap off most of the head and tails of the pin. Not enough to be able to unscrew the nut though.

The only thing I can think of to do is dremel the pin down enough so I can unscrew the nut.

any suggestions?

oh and its an 87 GL wagon

The Dremel will work to get the nut off.

Once you get the hub off, some rust penetrant and a drift punch should do the trick.

If that fails, "carefully" drill the pin out. Take your time, you don't want to snap a drill bit off in there.

Patience, patience, patience!!! When trying to fix my right rear wheel bearing I managed to mess mine up so bad that we had to replace the entire knuckle, getting the castle nut off was only half the challenge, I also completely obliterated the roll pin, though a previous owner seems to have lodged it stuck in the first place :(

Thank the stars we had an entire spare parts car!

Edited by essexkun

PB Blaster (or any high quality penetrant), punches and heat should get it to start walking out. if that doesn't work drill it out or dremel like they said.

this almost sounds funny - custom machining hubs (a pretty awesome and technical process that most on this board can not do - including

me) but stuck on a rusty pin.

I know it sounds funny, can build a plastic injection mold to tolerances of .0002, but can't get the damn pin to come out. I'm just gonna dremel the end of the pin off then get the hubs apart and take everything inside to my shop and use my 40 ton press to get the pin out. I appreciate your guys help.

Dan