Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 lego 5mt 175k. I've owned since 110k. Recently started notcing tire chirp when taking corners at normal speeds. Like a little birdie chirp chirp...chirp. seems intermittent but its just started happening. I've had it happen in left and right tight and sweeping turns. Wheels are petfectly aligned and all tires match within spec. Now heres where I'm confused...if u go to a parking lot and lock the wheel either direction it will idle itself around quietly. Previous 98 with torque bind required gas and hopped around like a 4wd truck when executing the same maneuver. Thoughts? Suggestions? Tia.

sounds like beginnings of classic torque bind. they seem to be a little more ambiguous like that when it first starts. it's not like it's always black and white, same exact symptoms every single time. once they're completely gone they're all the same obviously.

if you have weak rear struts then they might be bad. mine wasn't chirping, but on loose gravel i could hear the rear wheel "skipping". i thoght torque bind at first, but no binding in a parking lot like you're saying and i've fixed lots of torque bind cars so i'm familiar with what that's like - only certain turns and speeds and stuff. after a year or two i finally figured out the rear struts are bad - when going around a turn they don't work well enough to keep the tire in contact with the road and allow the tire to "lift" enough to just skip across the ground rather than roll (gravel).

i'm not familiar enough with struts/suspension to know if that could cause chirping on regular pavement though. mine had abnormal rear tire wear and was much worse in the summer.

Thanks gg. When I had it aligned yesterday, suspecting that was my culprit, the tech said it was in need of new struts...so maybe. It seems like its more likely happening around uneven corners...will investigate that. If tb would it take 65k to show up from previous owner abuse..I've been religious to keep tires rotated and inflated having previously smoked a vc.

Highly unlikely it's the tires chirping at speed. The rotors rubbing a bent or rusty brake backing plate or a wear indicator on a brake pad is much more likely. The rotors do move when cornering due to a bit of flex in the wheel bearings, and that can lead to intermittent contact with another part only during cornering.

I'm almost positive its coming from the tires breaking traction. 5/32 of tread left...maybe I've worn into a different compound? Its so weird it'll do it around one corner and not the next. It seems like the load has to be just right...too much or too little no noise. Can I hope for winter soon so I can just powerslide every corner

hah...try getting the bolts torqued properly.

I had a local shop do exactly just that and it eliminated a certain squealing/chirping that was coming from the brakes around turns.

Fancy custom alloy wheels need fancy custom special attention.

--Damien

you crack head, most people don't drive like you!

You may laugh, but scraping noises on turns is a common problem. A bent backing plate that almost touches the rotor will touch during cornering because the bearings are loaded differently and will deflect. So you get a squeek, chirp, or scrape noise that goes in time with the wheel speed, but only on turns.

Trust me, a lot of customers drive way worse than I do. Sometimes I really have to beat the hell out of a car (by my standards) to reproduce a noise/problem that the customer claims is happening all the time.

No I just had it aligned looking at the read out its spot on. Also def not the brakes. Gonna try and see if it does it first thing in the morning I've got a few corners ot chirps every time. If not then I'll vote tb. If it does then I prolly wont worry so much. Road was too wet this morning to get results. Wish me luck I'm going in to interview to keep my job....yeah.

dude - if the alignment shop told you that your struts are bad - get them replaced before you go thinking torque bind - really!

bad struts can and do cause all kinds of strange and unusual things.

and if you have not done them since you have owned the car - they are way over due.

Recommended change interval on shocks and struts is every 50K....

Well if I was made of money I would. I also wouldn't be living in suby for 3 months now. The filler tube just started leaking. I probably lost my job yesterday. And my little trip to the er put me 4k in debt. Basically the ************ hawks are circling. What should I expect to pay for new struts installed? If its the same price as a mossberg its gonna be a coin flip.

maybe you should simply ditch the vehicle...for real.

I had to do that with my '96. Find a real licensed, legal used car dealer...they may take it off your hands and even give a few bucks for it.

Course then you'd be locked into payments...but it may be a wise reinvestment.

The Captain goes down with the ship, laddie.

--Damien

Well if I was made of money I would. I also wouldn't be living in suby for 3 months now. The filler tube just started leaking. I probably lost my job yesterday. And my little trip to the er put me 4k in debt. Basically the ************ hawks are circling. What should I expect to pay for new struts installed? If its the same price as a mossberg its gonna be a coin flip.

may i ask what you need a mossberg for???

if you are depending on that vehicle as more than just transportation, you need to get priorities straight, and a mossberg should not be a factor in the equation...

i'm sorry to hear about the job situation, but know this, you are NOT alone.

No, i'm not living in my car right now, but if anything happened between the BF & I, I would be.