Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who needs a slimjim .. breaking into a subaru with a smartphone

By setting up their own GSM network...

:lol: Ya and $10K and some very special equipment later they are able to hack into it. Good times. Not to mention completely illegal to buy this equipment as a "civilian" as well.

This doesn't scare me at all. This "hack" was done by someone other than the "average" person, and there is no way that anyone would be able to do this easily without special equipment, so really a non-existent "threat" if you ask me.

Hacker conferences are great and all, but anything you see at them is really a not a threat at all, because only the elite can do this stuff, and that's a very small percentage of the population. This hack can not be exploited easily at all, which means nothing will ever come of it, at least for now.

Very interesting though to say the least.

:lol: Ya and $10K and some very special equipment later they are able to hack into it. Good times. Not to mention completely illegal to buy this equipment as a "civilian" as well.

This doesn't scare me at all. This "hack" was done by someone other than the "average" person, and there is no way that anyone would be able to do this easily without special equipment, so really a non-existent "threat" if you ask me.

Hacker conferences are great and all, but anything you see at them is really a not a threat at all, because only the elite can do this stuff, and that's a very small percentage of the population. This hack can not be exploited easily at all, which means nothing will ever come of it, at least for now.

Very interesting though to say the least.

You must not live in a metro area where there are car theft rings that steal high end cars (or other cars) to order to be shipped to other countries. The steal them from lots and off the streetIn a multi million dollar operation this is chump change and getting a hacker to do it is not very hard as they have them hacking bank accounts and other networks.

Legality of equipment is a moot point with them.

You must not live in a metro area where there are car theft rings that steal high end cars (or other cars) to order to be shipped to other countries. The steal them from lots and off the streetIn a multi million dollar operation this is chump change and getting a hacker to do it is not very hard as they have them hacking bank accounts and other networks.

Legality of equipment is a moot point with them.

Ya, and those rings are definitely not elite or anything :)

I realize that legality is a moot point, but obtaining the equipment is still very hard, and only a few people can get it, so that makes you elite and above average if you can get the equipment I would say :)

And C'mon now, I know we all love Subaru's, but they are not being stolen by these car theft rings either :lol: I would like to think so, but reality says Subaru's are not in super high demand by the very rich in the world :grin:

Burying one's head in the sand has been demonstrated many, many times to be the absolute worst defense against everything. :rolleyes:

Thinking everyone is out to get you can also be called schizophrenia and ruins lives :rolleyes:

This type of attack cannot be stopped by anything other than turning off your phone or just not using the service. Man in the middle attacks are almost impossible to detect, and almost impossible to prevent as well. Going around all paranoid, turning off my cell phone, and wearing a tin foil hat is not going to stop someone from stealing my car, after all, all you need is a rock, some wire cutters, time, and access to the car, and anyone can steal any car. Being paranoid is only going to ruin my life and make me a sad miserable person to be around.

Coming from a computer security background, I have long learned to not be paranoid about these types of "hacks". I am just not that special, and same with 90% of the population. I am not "burying my head in the sand", I am being a realist. Seriously, nobody wants my stuff :lol: And if they do, there really isn't much I can do to stop them, especially in the virtual world. All I can do is make sure I am not the easiest target. Anyone who thinks that they can't be hack or their stuff stolen is a nut case. I am well prepared for when my computers do get hacked with backups and all that jazz, as that's really all I can do, which is be prepared for when I do get hacked. Same with any of my physical possessions, and the ones I really care about are in the 5 foot tall gun safe :) Its more a matter of when it will happen, not if. And I apply this mentality to everything I do, whether it be for cars, for my home, or for my computers.

My motorcycle was stolen from me, and I got it back 6 months later. Did I do anything different the next time around to prevent it from being stolen? Not really, as they just really wanted my bike as I already had some good security on it, but they just really wanted it and stole a truck to transport the bike, and then threw the bike into the back of the truck. Beside bolting the bike to the ground, there was nothing I could do to stop that from happening.

Come to think of it, burying your head in the sand is a novel idea... Ignorance is bliss, right? :lol: Man how I wish I could go back to not knowing how screwed up the world is! 5 year olds just don't give a rip about security, and boy am I jealous!

Edited by eulogious

It really doesn't matter how difficult it is to get the equipment to do this, someone who want's to use this to steal cars is going to figure out how to do it cheaper, and they won't give a ************ if it's legal.

That said, IMO I don't think people are going to be using this anytime soon. If they want to steal the car there are PLENTY of other ways to do so. No amount of security or tin foil is going to prevent anyone from stealing a car. If they want it, they're going to get it. Same goes for you house, your garage, or anything else. If someone REALLY wants it, they'll find a way to get it.

I went to FORD dealer, walked onto showroom floor with my 5 gallon bucket of cash bills...enough cash to pay for the focus in cash. Said to the salesperson i would buy the car in cash, IF they ripped out all the active sync microsoft crap in the car. If they threw it the active sync crap in my bucket, I had all day for this. They said the car would not run after rippiing out active sync stuff. I said i will buy in cash if they could sell car without the stuff i didn t want, told them resell the sht, whatever, but i want buying the car with it installed.

walked away with my bucket and those salepeople still to this day try to sell me on it.

sorry. not going to jump on the bandwagon. I do not own cable TV, do not own cell phone, do not even have a regular doctor, dont have a DVD Player,,,,,,,,,ad for heck do not want a car with that crap on it. EVER>