Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Is The Best Year For The 2.2 Motor?

Spitfire the difference between flat tappet and roller rocker cams is very visible with the valve cover removed.

The rollers can easily be seen. http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z314/987687/IMG_3506.jpg

Tappets are not easily visible. http://www.sdsefi.com/ej22rockers.jpg

Tappet cams have wider lobes and have oil holes in the face of the lobe to lubricate the tappet as the cam spins.

Roller cams do not have holes.

As far as I know the switch from tappets to rollers was around 94-95. I know the 95 EJ22 has them.

The rollers offer a reduction in friction. Making it easier for the engine to spin, and consequently making power more efficiently. I don't know if there is a huge performance gain from swapping tappets for rollers, I assume there is a somewhat noticeable difference since the regular engine builders on this forum prefer to use roller rocker setups.

Both types of cam will fit in any phase 1 2.2 head. Both tappet and roller rocker assemblies have the same bolt on design, so either will fit any phase 1 head.

BUT the rockers MUST be matched the type of cam they were designed for. Roller rockers do not work with tappet cams because of differences in lobe height and angle. Tappet rockers can not be used with roller cams because there is no oil feed for the lobes and the cams would be destroyed in short order.

Roller rockers must be used with roller cams. Tappet rockers must be used with tappet cams.

Edited by Fairtax4me

To Woods Wagon - I read with interest your reply to this thread on 08-06-2011. Recently I have been looking to identify with photographs/descriptive matter the differences you describe between the earlier phase 1 ej22 with sliding rocker cams and the later phase 1 with roller rocker cams. I cant find any diagrams/photographs depicting this or comment as to which is best and why.

All dual exhaust port engines will have non-roller rockers except the '95 engines. This engine can be identified by it being OBD-II vs. OBD-I - IE: Three wiring harness connectors at the upper right of the bell-housing instead of two.

As to which is best.... there's no clear winner. Both seem to have the same reliability and longevity. The roller rocker components are harder and should show less wear in the long run I suppose. It's not till '97 that they went to solid lifters which will decrease drag on the valve train and should allow a slight performance and effeciency enhancement.

Also do these variations in the cams mean that there were different components around these to accomodate these parts - or were they interchangeable.

The rockers and camshafts are different. You shouldn't use a non-roller cam with roller rockers as the roller cams are harder to keep the rollers from chewing them up.

Were the earlier designs unreliable or something.

No. They are all the same with respect to reliability.

Can you spot these differences on an engine in the car or is it just the case that it is based on year/model. Thankyou for your input.

You can if you know what you are looking for.

GD

To Fairtax4me - referrring to the photogaphs of the ej22 heads you sent across, I can see the differences between the 2 types you refer to - it looks to me that the roller type is adjustable on top end nut of each rocker arm (shown clearly) but not so in respect of the tappet type - am I correct ? Is the adjustment nut for this type located underneath the rocker arm in this case or is it a fixed arrangement with no adjustment possible ?

To Fairtax4me - referrring to the photogaphs of the ej22 heads you sent across, I can see the differences between the 2 types you refer to - it looks to me that the roller type is adjustable on top end nut of each rocker arm (shown clearly) but not so in respect of the tappet type - am I correct ? Is the adjustment nut for this type located underneath the rocker arm in this case or is it a fixed arrangement with no adjustment possible ?

97 and 98 have adjustable lash and require adjustment ever 105k miles. 90 to 96 are hydraulic and no adjustment is possible or required. The '95 and '96 are cross-over years with hydrualic lifters and roller rockers.

GD

To General Disorder - thanks for that clarification about the adjustment of the tappets etc.

Further to your previous thread - Please can you point me to a photo/diagram showing the position you describe on a Legacy - depicting the "three wire harness connectors at the upper right of the bell housing instead of two wires" which I can use in practice, as means of indentifying a 95 spec vehicle (with roller rockers as part of it) as opposed to a pre 95 vehicle, with just the two wires (tappet style rockers). Thankyou.

Specifically where can I find this to check ?

I live in the uk and sometimes things are back to front (with drivers side being opposite to US) hence why a picture sometimes helps.

The connectors really only help if the engine is out of the car.

The Obd1 engine has a cover on top. Obd2 engines don't. It's also easy to tell by the year of the car and certain equipment under the hood.

94 was the last year for obd1 in the Legacy. In 95 the body changed entirely along with the switch to obd2.

Impreza from 93-95 is obd1. 96 and later is obd2. Body style is the same from 93 to 99.

I didn't see the part about being in the Uk. I'm not sure how much of thats applies to EU spec cars.

The wire harness difference is pretty clear though. Obd2 harnesses exit the engine at the bell housing on the right side (from sitting in the car).

Obd1 harness will exit towards the front on the left.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Best for what is the question.

Power? The last one (2002 or so Brighton Legacy Models). Very rare. Impressive power for the displacement.

Reliable. I think 96, single port exhaust, roller rocker, with adjustable valves is if its taken care of.

I personally don't see a build quality difference between 1989-94 and 95-99 model Legacy and Outback models. All are built in the USA either way, and when they have a 2.2L engine they still, mechanical and interior,etc seem equally good to me. If I was swayed to think that a 94 was a better built car than a 95 all that would be tossed in the trash for the single reason. Power seat belts. Hate them. Can't find a good one in the yards right now either, been looking for a month and most are bad. Need one for a friend if anybody has one btw.

The 98-02 model years I have seen quite a few with a rod tossed thru the top of the block. They just stick out (literally too) in my mind as bad. I think its the oil pumps in that era.

If I am swapping an engine with the harness, for some other vehicle creation, (VW, old Subaru swap, etc) I either want a 97 Impreza 2.2 or a 94 Legacy one. Easiest OBDII harness to modify and easiest OBD1 to modify.

was just reading this thread. I have the 99 legacy brighton wagon CA spec since new and bought it in Norfolk Va. wierd how that ended up there. didn't find that out till several oxygen sensors never matched year/model. issues as well as air filters. doesn't even have maf sensor. Anyhow it's going on 265,000 miles now (knock on wood). If anything I'm having more issues with ride but that's because it's still all original. they're def great cars!

• 2 weeks later...