Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I am going to look and possibly buy this car tomorrow? Its 5 speed with working cruise and AC! Carfax shows one owner no accidents. 153,000 carfax verified miles. Was sold at auction and is for sale by dealer! Dealer says check engine light is on and that someone test drove said it shimmies a little at highway speed probably tires? I rarely need four wheel drive so the front wheel only is a plus for me as I like the extra maybe two miles to gallon! So I guess my question is, is the check engine light something to be concerned about? I have heard that it is probably just a Ox sensor or something and have driven cars with check engine light on for tens of thousands of miles in the past! Thinking the engine light might be my leverage for another $100.00 or so off the final price! Anything specific I need to look for I know all the regular stuff, this 5speed with working cruise is just a little hard to find? Thanks for all you great input!

Actually he said his code reader did not test that old of car? kinda PhishY? Thinking on test drive I might should drive to a auto zone or advance for a free test? This is the ej22 motor in the car if I am not mistaken! Were these prone to overheat at all with higher mileage? I can see how a non car person might have the check engine light come on 150,000 miles and just trade it when there might not be much wrong. Or could be something big? Thinking I will check all the fluid levels first, check for signs of leaks, and then start it and keep it running for a good thirty to hour test drive to see if it starts to overheat. It is always some what of a gamble, hopefully a educated gamble, when buy a older used car as a every day driver! So far in my life I have been extremely lucky and have gotten 100,000 miles plus out of less than a thousand dollar cars! Guess we will see how it feels tomorrow?

1994 was the last year before Subaru went to OBD2 so there is no code reading device. You have to go under the dash and do the "secret handshake" to pull the codes. Here's a how-to that I saved a long time ago, hope it helps:

"Underneath the steering column is a wide rectangular piece of plastic, the same color as the dash, which has a tray marked 'TRAY.' This large piece is held to the underside of the dash with a bunch of screws. Remove these screws and remove the plastic piece. Now there will be a bunch of wires for you to see. To the left of the steering column (at least in left hand drive cars) somewhere probably tucked away will be a bundle of wires with two pairs of electrical connectors which are disconnected. On some 92-94 MY Legacies the check connectors can be found on the right hand side of the steering column. One is black and connects one wire to one wire, the other is green and roughly 'T' shaped, this one also connects one wire to one wire. With the car turned completely off, connect the black connector. Next, turn the ignition to 'ON' but do not start the car. The idiot lights in the dash will come on, and some may go out after a few moments. Watch the 'check engine' light and maybe have something you can write on to remember the codes. If there is a fault code in the ECU, the 'check engine' light will begin to flash in a particular manner. The codes range in number from 11 to 52, so we know that they all will be two digits. To signify the tens place of the number, the 'check engine' light will flash a long (1.2 seconds) flash. The single digit will be a short (.2 seconds) flash. Each flash within the same code will be separated by .3 seconds. Each error code will be separated by 1.8 seconds. Don't bother trying to time all these, just watch the light and you will begin to understand. Once the ECU has flashed all stored codes, it will loop through and repeat them. Now, for example, you see two long flashes followed by two short flashes. This means you have a code number 22. By looking at the following chart, we see that 22 is the code for the knock sensor. Once you have read and recorded all faults, turn the ignition off and disconnect the black connector."

By the way, overheating should not be a major concern in a '94 EJ22. Good idea to warm it up and check anyway though!

Good luck.

Dealer might have a Subaru Select Monitor, :lol: But probably not. That's the "old code reader" before they went to odbII. I got one sitting in my car right now :) I am borrowing it, but it's fun to play with.

If the car is running ok with the engine check light on, then it could be the O2 sensor or the knock sensor. Both won't make the car run funny, but will throw a code. Both are fairly inexpensive and fairly easy to replace. BUT this is just a guess, the only way to really know is to pull the codes.

I would just pull the codes in the dealer lot, right on the spot and tell him what's wrong with it. Then they know that you can't be messed with, since you figured out something they could not. Puts them in their place, while giving you the upper hand in bargaining with them.

Sound like you got a good plan though. Good luck and let us know how things go!

Car sold before I had a chance to go look at it! So still looking for a good daily driver for under 2grand, with ac and hopefully cruise but may have to go without just to get into a ride as I have to do something soon, prefer 5speed but will consider good condition auto! Virginia, Dc , Baltimore, Philly, OBX area! Might go look at a 96 legacy L sedan, 140,000 awd automatic i found at the 1500.00 price point thats in Maryland! If it was the 5speed I would be on my way! Anyway thanks again for all your excellent input! Jay

Yes I am all over craigslist, all cities in my area, ebay and my local message board paper! I found the car mentioned in this post in the Raleigh Craigslist! Its gotten pretty tough really, I used to find several interesting to me cars on ebay and craigs almost daily but these days I only seem to find on every couple of weeks. I have been looking real strong for two weeks and have only found three I was interested in seeing, two sold before I could get there and one is just too far to go! I actually may drive up to Maryland to check this on out tomorrow if it did not sell today? Keepin on keepin on looking here