Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power windows and Turning signals not working.

I did something stupid a couple of days ago. The short story is I accidentally touched a wire to the alternator and there were sparks. Well, now my windows are stuck up (it's very hot this time of year) and my turning signals don't work. My emergency flashers DO work, though. After doing research on the forums here I pulled out each fuse individually. Two of them were blown so I replaced them to no avail. Then I switched the power window relay under the front passenger seat out from my parts car. And the problem still persists. Is there something I'm missing? My car is an 86 GL wagon, btw.

Edited by travis1990
Forgot something

You found all the stuff under the passenger seat, so I'm not sure what else you've followed around. Do you have power at the main switch panel?

The main switch panel wiring comes through the door and enters behind the driver kick panel into the car. Do you have power at those connectors but not in the door?

Do you at least have a test light probe to verify power with? If not you need to get one, or a voltmeter. Using one of those tools I would first verify that power is getting to both sides of the fusible links. Then move on to the fuses that blew out and make sure power is getting to them.

Do your reverse lights work? I just killed my #10 fuse, and it took out my reverse lights, windows, and turn signals, but my hazards still work. Not sure why it blew yet, but I know that's what stopped them. Make sure the fuse didn't blow again. Also, here's a link to a wiring diagram. It's for my 87, but shouldn't be too much different for you 86 (assuming you've got an ea82).

Do you at least have a test light probe to verify power with? If not you need to get one, or a voltmeter. Using one of those tools I would first verify that power is getting to both sides of the fusible links. Then move on to the fuses that blew out and make sure power is getting to them.

Also, I'd get a multi-meter (includes volt-meter function). Less likely to damage electronics, not a big concern on older cars, but it's a good habit, as you can easily fry modules. Just do NOT use the resistance (ohm) function on a powered circuit, you will fry it. You can get a cheapo one at harbor freight for like $5-$10. Not the most accurate, but it will do for what you'll need.

Ok, here's a little update on my problem. When I finally got some time to work on it, I pulled out each fuse individually and checked them. Two of them were blew so I replaced them, turned the ignition on and I heard them (the same two) blow again. At this point I studied my wiring diagram and looked for those fuses. I noticed the plugs for the automatic transmission (which I recently replaced with a 5 speed D/R:)) were a part of those circuits. So, I popped the hood and went to inspect those plugs. Turns out one of them was broke leaving the connections inside exposed. It was grounding out on the engine. That's why it kept blowing fuses. :cool: