Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No compression after head gasket install??

So the I had to replace the driver side head gasket last weekend due it leaking coolant.

It was a pretty straight forward procedure, yank engine replace gasket put back in.

When I started it up it ran like crap. I thought I might have had the timing wrong but after researching it and re doing it a couple times I can pretty much do it with my eyes closed.

So finally I started checking compression: 1-3-4 all were at 130 ish and 2 had 0, wouldn't even move the needle on the gauge.

So now the engine is back out of the car and I'm somewhat frustrated.

This was done on an '88 GL coupe with a SPFI EA82.

what kind of headgasket did you do?

all of them except Fel Pro's require retorque procedure - did you do that?

i would pull the valve cover since it's easy and see if one of the rocker arms fell off or is cocked/mis-aligned - basically what rob said - make sure the valves are actually opening and closing, that would just be an easy mistake to make.

did you test compression before the job or it ran fine (suggesting something probably went wrong with the repair rather than something else wrong with the car)?

I used the rock auto gaskets. By retorque procedure I'm assuming you mean the start with a lower torque setting, torque all bolts in the correct patter then move to a higher torque setting and repeat as per the manual.

Already had the valve cover off after I pulled the engine and the valves move in and out fine and the rockers are in the right spot.

No test prior to the repair. Car ran fine other then coolant coming out of the head gasket.

The gasket kit had 2 head gaskets so maybe I'll just re-do the whole thing and hope for the best.

• 1 month later...

Ended up just re-doing the head gasket today. Stuck the engine back in, had 150psi compression. Fired it up and adjusted the timing.

All systems go.:banana:

I'm really not sure what went wrong the first time. The gasket looked fine?

Anyway its running better then ever.

Now its time to sell it.

"By retorque procedure I'm assuming you mean the start with a lower torque setting, torque all bolts in the correct patter then move to a higher torque setting and repeat as per the manual."

No, and I'm breaking the sticky rule by replying because I haven't actually done this,but retorqueing is a completely different procedure covered in the periodic maintenance section of the manual. I did just go back and review that. Supposed to be done on a new car at 1000 miles. Basically loosen one end of your intake manifold, then loosen, oil, and retorque each head bolt in sequence. Read the manual there is more to it than that.

Bill

i would guess a rocker arm wasn't set properly or something or HLA not pumped up?

By retorque procedure I'm assuming you mean the start with a lower torque setting, torque all bolts in the correct patter then move to a higher torque setting and repeat as per the manual.
no, - that's just the torque sequence, a retorque procedure is completely different:

some engines require a retorque and some do not - the EA82 does per the FSM. retorque means that a headgasket is installed, then the engine is started and allowed to heat up and cool down for one cycle, i don't think it's 1,000 miles but the FSM or headgasket installation instructions should say. then after that, you go back in and loosen and retorque the headbolts.

what is strange to me is that the EA82 FSM requires a retorque but the XT6 (a partially siamesed EA82 block) does not.

i don't know what happens if you don't retorque - i don't know if a gasket could not be properly seated right way because of not doing a retorque because i've never skipped that step.

EA82 engines are supposed to be retorqued, the only gaskets i know of that are designed to not be retorqued are the Fel-Pro permatorque gaskets, which tell you not to retorque. that's why they're the most popular headgaskets used on the engines. or "were" the most popular since the EA82 has gone the way of the do-do bird with time and rust. :lol:

Edited by grossgary

EA82 FSM requires a retorque but the XT6 (a partially siamesed EA82 block) does not.

perhaps the 'extra' bolts and having a broader area to distribute the force across change the need to retorque?

since the EA82 has gone the way of the do-do bird with time and rust. :lol:

sssssh your scaring my birds out of the driveway :grin: