Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Loyale ej22 swap with 4 speed auto transmission

rain_man_rich

It's definitely possible. IIRC GLoyale did it, I think he used the bellhousing/front diff housing from an EJ transmission and was able to do it without an adapter plate.

The wiring is not a small project, but the EA82 4EAT can be run on an EJ TCU, so it's just a matter of picking out the signal wires between the TCU and the transmission.

That said, removing the TCU wiring from the harness is a big part of the project, by leaving it in, you'll simplify that part.

It's definitely do-able, but no small project. The hardest part will be putting the EJ bellhousing on the EA transmission, as it's not a beginner project.

Search for posts by user GLoyale, I'm pretty sure he did what you're talking about.

Also, posts by Eulogious and presslabs. They both put an EJ TCU in their EA82t car. They were both modified for manual shifting, but that will give you an idea on what's involved in the wiring side.

you could swap the bellhousings but that is too much work. why not just swap in the whole EJ 4eat. wouldnt the EA tcu run it just fine with the proper inputs from the engine and ecu.

That would work. But the way to do this would be run the EJ TCU. It's much better, and simpler wiring.

you could swap the bellhousings but that is too much work. why not just swap in the whole EJ 4eat. wouldnt the EA tcu run it just fine with the proper inputs from the engine and ecu.

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that the driveline would have to be shortened? Pick your evil I suppose.

Back to the TCU. Why would I need an EJ TCU if I already have a TCU that controls my current 4 spd in the Loyale? Does the TCU and the new EJ ECU have to communicate?

I believe the back of your trans is the same as the EJ one. so your driveshaft will probably work without shortening.

It would not matter what TCU you use. they both would work. you just need to get all the wiring connected correctly. It just would be easier to use the EJ tcu If you got the wiring from a AT vehicle. you would not have to do any cutting and splicing of wires on that end. you could just plug the EJ tcu into the harness and the harness into the EJ trans.

The reason I was saying to use the whole EJ trans is because by the time you buy all the seals and and gaskets to disassemble the trans and replace the bellhousing which of course in itself may cost as much as the EJ trans itself. It makes more since just to put the whole thing in. way less work.

OPtion 1) If you want to keep your EA trans:

Swap on an EJ bellhousing (swap your diff into it first)

Wire up your EJ engine with just the EJ ECU.

Pros: less trans cost.

Cons: EA trans computer won't like the EJ tps signal. Shifting may be affected......you'll definately get a flashing POWER light (tranny codes)

Option 2) Same as above, except l eave the EJ TCU and wirng in your harness. Run the EA trans off the EJ TCU. You'll have to swap connectors or otherwise make the wiring on your trans mate to the EJ harness. But if you do, then the EJ TCU will run your existing trans.

Pros: EJ TCU will not thow code for TPS. EJ TCU is faster, better computer.

Cons: more wiring. Adapting connectrs on trans. This is the most "wiring" option.

Option 3) Use an EJ trans. This would be better since the EJ TCU connectors will match up.

Pros: No need to swap bells. Slighly improved rear transfer output.

Cons: Need to swap a matching rear diff. (3.9, 4.11, 4.44) No EJ's came with the 3.7 in your car now. Also need to drill a few holes in the trans crossmember as EJ mounts differ slightly to the EA ones.

For all options driveline length is not an issue provided you are using a 97 or earlier trans. Same as EA.

Edited by Gloyale