Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have an 99 legacy ob w a 2.5.. Headgaskets were needing done when I bought it but heads r shot.. Have a 95 impreza 2.2 I put in it and worked great but I now believe the awd isn't wking.. I noticed the front tire chirped in driveway at take off so I took it up a wet grass hill.. The front tire spun then it hooked up.. Going to put on jackstands and make sure.. but my ? Now is I have the whole 95 w good working trans, transfer, and rear diff can I swap it all out to the obw.. The 95 was wreaked that's y I became the donor car.. Or what do I have to do to get awd wking

there is a good chance that one of the drums that the clutch plates ride in has ''groves'' worn in it that causes the AWD to hang up for a while before it engages.

do a search, search for , grooves, dremel ? or dremmel ? whatever, , AWD* fix, AWD* repair.

there is a good thread with pics showing the fix.

swapping the rear extension housing will correct a lot of the ''ills'' but not all. the drum on the trans side has grooves too.

it's normal for the front tire to spin a little bit first before the TCU corrects it, but i'm guessing you're saying it's more than normal or something is definitely wrong?

swap all the rear extension housing components from the 95 into the 99. good thing is this is a very simple swap and doesn't require removing the transmission, it can all be done from under the car. no need to swap rear diff or anything - just the rear extension housing - which is just the rear part bolted to the back of the trans. pretty easy actually as far as transmissions go.