Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok.. the headlights on my 97 OB are obviously around 14 years old. They are the hazy crud that comes from the years..

I know they do some kind of buffing/ cleaning thing that is offered at the dealership..

I'm wondering if there are any home kits or should i not even bother with my time and just order new ones?

-A

Check out ebay "headlight cleaner". There are kits for about $6 w/ free shipping or WalMart "headlight restoration" for about $15-20.

They all work about the same. Mild abrasive/elbow grease and a sealant. You could try toothpaste/clear spray paint but kit would be cheaper.

Be sure to mask off adjacent areas.

i have to say the turtle wax one seems to be best. i am going to have to do the same to my 2005 baja. and that seems to be the kit that has everything.

as jarl said the sealer is a very important part of doing this. without the sealer. the headlights will go back to being hazy really quick.

i work for advance auto parts and i see this time and time again.

check youtube as well. there are quite a few people showing results from the different kits out there. it may help you decide which one to use.

3M makes a kit with attachments that you chuck into a drill that makes it a breeze.

This is just to show what the kit is: http://www.autogeek.net/3m-lens-renewal-kit.html?productid=3m-lens-renewal-kit&channelid=FROOG&gclid=COjyudCUxKsCFYlM4Aod5B4h3g

Most auto parts stores have this on the shelf for about the same price. I think I saw it at Walmart once for like $15.

Very easy and takes only about 30 minutes to do both lights.

I usually do the wet sand and buffer method. But if you're in a pinch and have a can of "Nevr Dull" metal polish sitting in the garage, that works great too. :grin:

3M has a headlight restoration kit, I got mine at NAPA Auto Parts for around $20 and it works really well. it comes with a small buffing pad, assorted sandpaper grits and rubbing compound and a velcro drill pad for the sandpaper and buffing pad. It takes some time but it comes out very nice and with the drill adapter alot less elbow grease.

Link

Ben

Edited by tractor pole
add link

You might want to finish it off with some spray-on clear coat. This is what was recommended as the final step if your just doing it from scratch. (not using the kits)

I would avoid the clear coat... specially since you can buy the sealer by itself if you want. Also, with the kits' prices starting at $6 there's little reason not to use them

Crap... I'll have to wait six months before recommending it again :)

The thing is the Turtle Wax kit is the cheapest one to include a sealant. The 3M was somewhere around $12 or so and didn't include a sealant.

I think 3M sells a sealant separately from any kit. Maybe that's the best option

Wet sand them with 1000 grit, then 1500 grit then 2000 grit all of which are available in a varity pack at Autozone. Then use Plast X or other plastic polish. I did mine a few months ago and they're still clear.

You have to sand it off to remove the damaged plastic. Just mask off the painted area so you don't sand the paint off.

You can see the plastic running off in the water while you sand them off.

I would avoid the clear coat... specially since you can buy the sealer by itself if you want. Also, with the kits' prices starting at $6 there's little reason not to use them

Yeah most of those headlight "sealer" products you see on the shelf that you just wipe on, don't work worth jack. Regularly applying wax, basically any car wax, will keep your lights protected just as well as any "sealer".

A few coats of good automotive clearcoat, properly applied, will last for 4 or 5 years with no attention.

Subaru should take the lead in manufacturing process, and get rid of these crappy lexan plastic lenses, and go back to glass, I seriously COULD CARE less about the safety issue of glass, vs SAFTEY of seeing good light output at night.

Actually there should be some lawsuits in general class action on all manufactuers, sue to decreased safety at night sue to yellowing lenses over time.

It is true.