Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Dual Carbs.

Resortx

That depends. If it's a factory set up and you don't have the heads, it's pretty much worthless. The heads for that set up have the intake and exhaust ports in different places so you can't put it on a US engine. Never seen this set up before? That's how rare they are. Now consider that most of the time someone sees something like this and goes "Cool! I gotta have it!" and pulls it off not knowing the heads are different and the engine goes bye-bye. That's how rare the heads are. If you have the whole thing, it'd be whatever you're willing to pay. That set-up makes another 10-15 HP IIRC.

Its actually carbs, intake, heads, and cam that are different. That engine all together would make over 100 hp where the standard EA81 only made 73-74. As others have said the intakes and carbs pop up from time to time but good luck finding a set of heads and cam. I looked for years and never found a set (that was for sale at least).

First, are you sure this is for an E-81?

Second,special heads are nice,, but not required

Third, if this is the set-up in a plastic bin at a certain local wrecking yard...... it's for a EA-63,,but will match to a EA-71(re-jetted)

Really? Ah weird. Cause he said it came off of a 80 something brat. I checked it out awhile ago and it had an ea81 in it. Sadly the car was crushed a few months back... So no more heads.

First, are you sure this is for an E-81?

Second,special heads are nice,, but not required

Third, if this is the set-up in a plastic bin at a certain local wrecking yard...... it's for a EA-63,,but will match to a EA-71(re-jetted)

Ah and it's awesome to see another USMB member here in Spokane. I see mostly everyone is over towards the coast.

As noted - without the rest of the engine it's basically a nice wall ornament. Going to the trouble of fixing that twin-hitachi setup and making it work would be a time-consuming and messy task (parts availibility) when you can just build your own setup from new parts and new carbs. Just build some adaptors to mount the carbs of your choice to each head, build a coolant cross-over, and rip it up.

GD

Alrighty Sweet Anyways. He wants 275ish for them. So if anyone wants them let me know. AH! and actually I went out there and checked it out again today and the car is still there!!! So they still have the heads!!! I think other guy is right about them being ea71 carbs possibly though because it is a older gen brat. Don't know alot about the brats so don't know exact year.

If it's an '81 or earlier then it's got an EA71 in it most likely. The biggest difference and the best way to tell is to look at the starter - if it's directly on the top-center of the bell-housing and is a rather large ungainly affair - it's an EA71. If it's off to the driver's side and is smaller then it's an EA81.

EA71 manifolds (of that vintage) will not fit EA81 engines. They are too narrow. Later model "fat-case" EA71's share manifold dimensions and have side-starter bell-housings but those didn't come in very many cars..... primarily the STD model hatch of the 84 to 89 vintage. A rare animal with a rare engine.

GD

Haha Alright. Yeah they don't know too much about them old subaru's so im sure they would take offers. He said he popped the hood and thought "Holy Crap!!! I've never seen one of them before! Lets grab it!!! Haha Im sure they would probably take less for it if ya talked to them... Hey DLEX do you know Todd and Randy I take it than? If so that is awesome. They are pretty cool people.

Edited by Resortx

here is a pic,,note the hook

I love subaru's! They are so easy! And they put so much effort into the design as well... They thought it through until the end for us to convert that spare tire holder into a tool shelf and all... I kinda think they knew that most of us would end up with our spares on the roof. Haha

yep,I thought you were looking at the same box. the pic is from my Brat from when I pulled the motor.if you get that one , it comes w/the airbox,I was quoted 135(new) for the airbox alone 8yrs ago.I had to make a custem box.

these ARE old school fun,,,,but a PAIN(censered) on axels and bearings

Edited by DR DLEX
a no no