Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 bound up? help please

I have a lifted subaru three door had a blown head gasket so I pulled the motor and put my spare ea82 in it, I also replaced the clutch and pressure plate. I took it for a test drive and it just died. I tried restarting it and I can hear the starter trying to turn the flywheel but can't, I tryed and it turned over a little bit, I tried turning the crank by hand but won't budge and I tried turning the opposite way but it just loosins the crank bolt, so my question is could I have a stuck piston, or could it be cause by something binding it up in the bellhousing? Any help would be apreciated, thanks

Quintan

doesn't sound promising.

If it makes you feel any better, I recently strpped down an EA71 which was mostly in good order except for the oil pump which was totally siezed.

This was due to lack of oil as far as I can tell (filter was still dry).

So the short answer is I have no idea what could be wrong.

The longf answer is check the oil pump and any basics before you get too dispondant.

Good luck.

Dirk

No it wasn't in gear, I soaked it in pb blaster and was contemplating pushing it down the road and trying to 'bump' the pistons loose, but then someone that is uncreditable told me ththat the flywheel bolts or pressure plate bults could of backed out, idk wat to do, I have my old motor in need of head gasket, and I was thinking about swapping from spfi to my pull and save webber =) haha one of by better finds there.

Think I would start with pulling the sparkplugs, see if it will turn over then.

Could've had an intake gasket fail, filling cylinder with coolant.

If that doesn't let it turn, then I'd go about sliding the engine forward enough to check the pressure plate bolts.

There is an outside chance that one of the timing belts snapped, and has wrap itself up enough to lock the crank. Quick & easy check there.

Had and still have all plugs off wen I was spraying pb blaster to loosin the pistons, hopefully if I get time tommorrow to seperate the engine and check the flywheel, if not then Monday for sure, and I'm swappin in a open diff till the snow hits I'm tired of tearin up my tires

And by the way thanks everyone for your input, you helped me think outside the box. Some times all you need is some extra brains, I saw no coolant in the cylinders, and I don't think my engine is froze cuzwen I went to start is before this happened it felt like something was dragging but it still started that's why wen I pm'd sjr he gave me the flywheel bolts backing off idea, and I'm sure he is right, but only one way to find out is to pull the engine, this website is full of so much nowledge and help

• 2 weeks later...

ok so what i thought was wrong wasnt, but i was trying to be optimistic. i got it out and turned it over by hand, but i can feel that a piston is dragging so im pretty sure its toasted. idk im thinking of just getting a gasket set and regasketing my other ea82 any suggestions or ideas?

wen i turned it over by hand it wasnt a smooth feeling i could feel something was wrong, i pulled a head and a pston would move up and hit a spot and stop moving up and hold in the same spot about half way up the piston, idk what could of failed, i havent really heard of a throwin a rod in a subaru cuz there short and stubby, could the piston broke where the wrist pin attaches? idk i might split the case, or try to get the broken piston out and figure out wat happened.