Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone want an axle FAQ thread?

In hunting (for rather a long time) for an axle question I posed in another thread, I came across plenty of other questions about axles and transmissions, many more than once. Some related to my question, some related to other things. Thank you EA81EA for digging up the thread that finally nailed the coffin shut.

But that aside, I must beg the question of whether putting together an axle FAQ thread/post would be worth my time and trouble? I don't know all the answers, but I figure if they can all be put together with what answers can be dug up and stickied in the USRM...anyway, if it seems like something useful I'll put my mind to it in a week or two after this tranny swap is done.

Oh, and if I never EVER have to swap a transmission again it will be too soon :P (and that's not counting the axle roll pins--I think it has to do with the fact the transmission weighs more than I do and fits in a smaller space than I???). I'll take the engine out every day of the week before I screw around with putting in another transmission.

An axle FAQ would be nice. I've done some searching for various info and never come back with much or out dated posts.

Is GCK axles still around as I read they were "superior" new axles compared to the other choices? Waiting to get a quote on some EMPIs as the jys don't have a lot of Subies in my neck of the woods and charge top dollar.

Here, some useful info...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118248

Kind Regards.

I did like that one, but it didn't cover everything! I'll keep it in mind. I'll start working on something in Word, not going to kill myself over it, but should have a decent starting point in a week or two--feel free to add/suggest anything in the meanwhile.