Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frustrating 85 GL Wagon

So my 85 GL Wagon is REALLY starting to frustrate me. Just replaced the timing belts this past Saturday, and then the car was really hard to start. At the time I simply chalked it up to old fuel sitting in the carburetor.

However, after finally getting it running. Immediately took it down the street and filled it up with premium, along with a bottle of fuel system cleaner. Unfortunately, that didn't do a darn thing. The car runs flawlessy with plenty of guts right up to half throttle........then falls flat on her face :(

Then today she took me a good half hour to get started again:eek: The symptoms of hard starting were exactly the same as the first time it happened after I finished with the belts on saturday, lots of engine spinning and can smell the fuel in the carb even inside the car, but doesn't seem like it was firing at all. I pulled the coil wire and tried arcing it to the block with a screwdriver while a buddy turned it over and it looks like I've got spark but doesn't seem regular, or hot enough. I'm completely lost at what I've done to my car and would like to fix her as soon as possible.

Now I know that these cars don't exactly have a whole lot of guts to begin with, but I miss the quick, relatively spunky car that she was before her belts broke.

... The car runs flawlessy with plenty of guts right up to half throttle........ then falls flat on her face :( ...

Your EA82 Still have its Original Craptachi -Hitachi- Carb?

if so, it sounds like the Primary Stage on the Carb if Clogged / Failing Somehow... Vacuum Leak?

But if your EA82 Runs "Flawlessly" as you wrote, only after Half Throtle, you Must know that it is the Point where the Secondary Stage of the Carb Opens... and pick up Power.

I Kindly Suggest to Check your Carb for Loose Screws, Vacuum Leaks... and Clean it.

if the Craptachi carb gives you those Headaches, I Suggest you to Swap a Weber instead.

Kind Regards.