Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New guy with an old Forester.

I am Sgt Shultz, I know nothing. My Forester is the closest thing to a perfect vehicle for my needs that I've ever owned. The only problem is it's a 99 and getting tired due to lack of maintainance by the previous owner. The 4EAT's fluid is pretty dark, and smells a little burnt. I took it to the tranny shop, and they were afraid to flush the fluid. I called a few more tranny shops, and most of them don't even change the tranny fluid any more. :confused:

Ok, I guess the best thing I can do is tell you guys what I'd like to do, then you can tell me the best way to get it done. I'd like to replace the drivetrain with these goals; maximum reliability at a minimum price, better MPG, and better offroad performance. This is my daily driver, and my only properly running vehicle at this time, so I can't afford for it to be down long. I'm thinking I'd like to find a 4EAT, and a matching LSD to start, then I'll turn my attention to the engine. How do I determine what gear ratio is in my Forester, how can I tell what gears are in the parts I look at in the junk yards, and how can I make shure a rear diff is an LSD?

That's probablly enough questions for now, thanks for all the help. Charlie.

is it worth trying to change the fluid first? that's the first logical step, but maybe there's more to the story?

a common tactic with ATF is to drain and refill the ATF 3 times (change, drive, change, drive) and change the spin on filter.

it's exactly like changing engine oil - remove drain plug, fluid comes out, install drain plug and then refill through the dipstick with a funnel. this trans also has a spin on ATF filter on it, replace that while you're at it.

if you're still amped up to replace the transmission and rear diff:

trans - yours is a 4.44 final drive which is the same as any 4 cylinder automatic OBW. i believe non-VDC H6 OBW's are also 4.44's. all foresters atuo's are 4.44 as well.

LSD - rear LSD's have been said by a few people on here (GD i believe is one of them) to have a short life span. they fail to "open" so i don't know if you can easily confirm their condition in a junk yard. i guess both sides turn the same direction, but not sure if that verifies how well they do under load? go to cars101.com, the subaru related website and it lists which cars came stock with LSD's - like Forester S models of your vintage do, as well as upper level OBW's, and most (if not all) 2001-2004 H6's.

a 99 Forester is a Phase II SOHC EJ25 for when the engine oil gets old and dirty :D:drunk: sorry i couldn't resist being a dork.

is it worth trying to change the fluid first? that's the first logical step, but maybe there's more to the story?

a common tactic with ATF is to drain and refill the ATF 3 times (change, drive, change, drive) and change the spin on filter.

it's exactly like changing engine oil - remove drain plug, fluid comes out, install drain plug and then refill through the dipstick with a funnel. this trans also has a spin on ATF filter on it, replace that while you're at it.

if you're still amped up to replace the transmission and rear diff:

trans - yours is a 4.44 final drive which is the same as any 4 cylinder automatic OBW. i believe non-VDC H6 OBW's are also 4.44's. all foresters atuo's are 4.44 as well.

LSD - rear LSD's have been said by a few people on here (GD i believe is one of them) to have a short life span. they fail to "open" so i don't know if you can easily confirm their condition in a junk yard. i guess both sides turn the same direction, but not sure if that verifies how well they do under load? go to cars101.com, the subaru related website and it lists which cars came stock with LSD's - like Forester S models of your vintage do, as well as upper level OBW's, and most (if not all) 2001-2004 H6's.

a 99 Forester is a Phase II SOHC EJ25 for when the engine oil gets old and dirty :D:drunk: sorry i couldn't resist being a dork.

The trans spin on filter looks exactly like an oil filter, and screws into the side of the trany. Resist the temptation to replace with an oil filter. The trans filter requires a specific trans oil filter. They are pricey at about $30/filter, and available at auto parts stores. Call first to see if they have one in stock. Don't drop the pan looking for an internal trans filter. The little piece of screen wire inside there never seems to clog up. The problem is replacing the tranny pan is a nasty job of removing the old gasket, and then there is a strong possibility that your new pan gasket will leak ATF.

Your helping, you can be a dork all you want. Just try not to take it too far, like this guy did. I don't want anyone getting hurt because of me.

I am handicapped, not lazy...well, at least not quite that lazy.:D

I could do this. I just don't have any tools, and the manager of my condo's goes postal on people for working on their cars in the parking lot. She doesn't even want us to top off the fluids because we might spill some.

I'd like to locate a tranny, just in case the old one gives out after changing the ATF. I hear it's not as likely with the Soobie trannys, but I always believe it's better to be safe, than sorry. Eventually I'd like to build a smaller engine to drop in, in hopes of better MPG.

Now, just a couple other questions. Does anyone make a CNG conversion kit for soobies?

I've also been looking at trying one of these setups.

http://www.runyourcaronwater.com/

Is anyone here running something like that?

changing the ATF won't hurt anything at all. flushing i'm not sure about, but just draining it and refilling it like you do engine oil is entirely benign. have at it and see if it helps, it can't hurt it.

as for smaller engine - you could swap in a 2.2 - any Phase 2 EJ22 is a plug and play swap. not sure if it would help mileage or not though.

• 2 weeks later...