Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few questions for the Guru's

Ok, so when I rebuilt the engine on my '85 brat ('82 engine) I focused on the longblock. I did not get new spark plugs, wires, coil, cap, rotor, and I did not touch the carbourater at all.

That being said, the engine likes to hesitate at low rpms. Especially when it is cold. Now that I have recovered financially after doing all the other work to the car, I am thinking of buying new spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, air filter, and possibly a new egr unit.

I am wondering what year/style of these things to get. Before when I bought my clutch, I purchased an '82 setup only to realize that a post '83 clutch would have been better.

I know that subarus like NGK plugs, so I have those in mind, just wondering on the other stuff. Thank you in advance for any of your wisdom. :)

I think the fuel filter is one of the few things that the previous owner replaced. The engine compartment fuel filter looks brand new. Is there another one by the gas tank?... I know that ea82's have one by the tank and one in the engine compartment.

Nobody else caring to share? :-p

Thank you Turbone and LeoneTurbo for your imput, I will look into fuel filters and look into the carb as well.

At this point I'm just wondering if there are any trade off's between engine years, or if everything will be the same when I order parts. Such as: will an '82 egr be better than an '85? Or vis-versa?

:popcorn:

I Think I found a filter by the tank on my '87 the other day. Haven't tried to change it yet, so not positive. Fuel pump and filter in front of drivers side rear wheel.

Bill

Lol right after asking the question of the two fuel filters I went and crawled under the car to look. Right in front of the gas tank on the drivers side, looks just like the one in the engine compartment.

So I ordered some parts today :brow:

I bought some NGK v-power plugs, a Duralast cap, & Duralast rotor from autozone. The cap and rotor are wrong, so I will be taking those back.

I had to special order some Bosch wires from them, and a Duralast ignition coil is on its way as well.

From Subaru I ordered (hopefully) the correct distributor cap and rotor.

I also tried to find both the front and rear fuel filter from them, but they say it is a discontinued part. :banghead:

Where do you guys get your fuel filters from??

I'm going to wait on the egr valve, see if these changes I'm making make the difference in performance.

So I ordered some parts today :brow:

I bought some NGK v-power plugs, a Duralast cap, & Duralast rotor from autozone. The cap and rotor are wrong, so I will be taking those back.

I had to special order some Bosch wires from them, and a Duralast ignition coil is on its way as well.

From Subaru I ordered (hopefully) the correct distributor cap and rotor.

I also tried to find both the front and rear fuel filter from them, but they say it is a discontinued part. :banghead:

Where do you guys get your fuel filters from??

I'm going to wait on the egr valve, see if these changes I'm making make the difference in performance.

hi, the coil should match whatever brand distributor you have , either nippondenso or hitachi , no telling what duralast has conjured up. in my humble opinion autozone is the last place you should be shopping, i've had very good luck finding parts online from some ebay vendors, especially check out rock auto , and some from guys here selling parts no longer needed . the filters are pretty common , the cap,rotor and wires are common, i've bought wire sets under $10 that fit ea82 motors from rock auto , autozone is a space cadet zone as far as old subarus are concerned.

hi, the coil should match whatever brand distributor you have , either nippondenso or hitachi , no telling what duralast has conjured up. in my humble opinion autozone is the last place you should be shopping, i've had very good luck finding parts online from some ebay vendors, especially check out rock auto , and some from guys here selling parts no longer needed . the filters are pretty common , the cap,rotor and wires are common, i've bought wire sets under $10 that fit ea82 motors from rock auto , autozone is a space cadet zone as far as old subarus are concerned.

Thank you for your reply. I have a nippondenso disty. The coil coming in will match. :)

The cap and rotor they tried to give me was for a hitachi, even though they said it would "work either way" :rolleyes:

I will look into rock auto for some filters.

I shopped around RockAuto. They did have the correct fuel filters, but I decided to shop around just a little more. Turns out Napa had both the engine compartment and rear fuel filters on-hand. So no dealing with shipping. :clap:

Now I just have to wait on the cap & rotor, wires, and coil that are coming in.