Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Rear half shaft (axle) replacement

EA81 - GL Wagon 1981 4wd - 4" lift

The right-rear half shaft of my 1981 GL Wagon is broken at the outboard end of the shaft. I've not replaced one before but from searching through the archives of this forum I would like to CONFIRM that i will not have to remove the right-rear wheel to replace this axle.

Here are my questions to the soob masters:

1. Can I replace the REAR half-shaft without removal of wheel?

2. I assume I'll need the car placed on jack stands (at least) so that my only floor jack can be used lift the wheel/swing arm for fitment upon replacement or removal...?

3. REAR axles have slightly larger roll-pins and a 1/4" punch is needed, right?

4. I have a 4" lift installed on the wagon too so will that alter the replacement methods?

5. Can I remove the broken axle half-shaft and safely drive the car to a friends shop so that I can finish the repair in a heated shop? This may be an incredibly stupid question, but I've not reviewed my shop manual yet. :o I did drive it home a few blocks after I broke the axle, so hopefully i've not fubar'd it too much.

Thanks in advance; please accept my apologies if this was detailed elsewhere already.. but I did look for it first; just couldn't find it.

cheers!

1. Yes

2. Dont lift the wheel, lift the body.

3. Roll pin is the same size as the front - 3/16 or 6mm will work.

4. This should make it easier to remove.

5, Yes you can, as long as you dont use 4wd. And even then it wont hurt anything.

Edited by Turbone

GD was right on the money, The rear wheel had to be removed before I could get the correct angle to apply the 2ft length of pipe and BFH blows required to remove the outboard axle cup that had been firmly in place since 1981.. I read in my 1982 shop manual that the rear axle IS DIFFERENT on the inner vs outer DOJ so I'll double-check to confirm i installed the oil seal cups on the correct end of the new axle.. darn glad i read through that manual.. (read'n right'n mite pay off after all!)

I'm now rebuilding my junkyard set of 34mm rear disc brake calipers and working up the nerve to complete the 6-lug conversion PLUS the rear disc brake upgrade on the '81 wagon.

Anyone have pics of their rear disc setup, installed?? I'll eventually figure out where/how all the parts go together, but I thought I'd ask here.... I'll take some pics and post'em of my process so as to keep alittle karma in my cup.

thanks!

gadberry