Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 OBS lift project/disaster (pics)

sifu

After a little advice and inspiration from the board, I decided to go ahead with my project.

Here are the details:

Working with a guy named Terry F. out of PHX. AZ We took to the yards Saturday AM.

Here is what we found:

41483789.jpg#ImgQueryString#

98 Forester L. Unknown miles. Turns out that the backs are OEM and fairly shot, fronts were replaced, seem ok.

4 struts and springs x $ 40+tax = $175. It was a gamble...

I didn't take before photos. Here is a good idea of what I'm starting with:

10808121-640.jpg

THE BUILD

We worked through some of the details already mentioned on the board. For clarity here are the issues with the swap we had to address:

1. Top hats were not compatible. Had to swap back my OBS top hats. The swap back was a nightmare.

These are OBS vs. Forester Top hats.

PA228101.JPG

Wonder how much height opportunity I'm losing by keeping the OBS hats? Anyone know about top hat spacers?

the top hat work required one of many additional trips to Autozone to pick up some spring compressor clamps. Required a $60 deposit. No biggie.

PA228098.JPG

2. Front struts brake line bracket had to be cut to remove old struts, and cut again to fit new struts on. Rear brake lines were bled. 5 bucks in brake fluid. No biggie.

3. added 2x 1,27 cm washers on top of each rear top hat to fix rattle bump. Took about 1/2 hour to get all four filed with dremel. More info http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109375&page=3

PA228104.JPG

We went through here to pop the spacers on. Because of course, discovered the rattling after everything was already done. Anyway, prevented a good amount disassembling and saved some time.

Here is the final product. Still need to pick up a trailing arm bracket to recenter the rear wheels.

PA238110.JPG

PA238111.JPG

I'm a little disappointed with the swap, because looking at it next day, I just didn't get the lift I expected. I'm thinking that now that I've got the springs I might just buy some new struts. Any other ideas on how to perk up the ride? Keep in mind that the subaru I really want to emulate is here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109375&page=8

Anyone have some ideas on what kind of A/T tires I can still get away with? If I don't need to do anything more, I won't.

Finally, big credit goes out to my man Terry F. So far the job has been a nightmare, but nothing involving him. The guy gave me 12 hours (yes, this took ALL DAY) of his time and only took $160.

Price recap:

Dremel tool-$22

Wrench (replacement tool)-$15

Washers-$2

Brake fluid-$5

Struts + springs- $175

Terry (Mechanic)-$160

this is the swap i am looking to do on my 97 OBS. i have been researching quite a bit just so dont run into any problems during the swap. but i am wondering if i should do the outback or the forester swap. i see you did the forester swap, how does it drive/handle?? this is my daily driver so i need it to handle half way decent.

It looks pretty good to me! Those tires look a little silly though, with a bigger tire it'll look better and get you a bit more lift.

You need longer trailing arms, not just brackets.

this isn't correct.

Only difference is in the brackets.

a 98 legacy outback limited has the brackets/trailing arms your looking for (not sure on the other models) allong with the body lift and beefier sway bars if its your daily driver. You can go with a strut/tophat spacer to give it more wheelwell/lift. then go with a 205/75R15 if you want it to allign straight again (im running 215/75R15 and its really close to the strut) with the body lift and tophat spacers.

Edited by impoutback 97

so far so good. I've driven it about 50 miles and it rides and handles just as well as stock. The true test will be with the new tires.

Speaking of which:

I could really use some advice on these tires:

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Discount_Tires.cfm?pID=2862&pn=DLP-290110241

$88 a tire and a $40 discount with all four.

Good deal?

based off the pictures, think my car can handle 205 75 15?

Thanks impoutback, that's the advice I was looking for. Top hat spacers I saw around here were fairly expensive ($300?) And that's a bit more than I want to spend in addition to my lift. Any ideas on cheaper alternatives? And besides, while the forester struts may not be the ultra lift I was expecting, I'm still happy with it if I can fit the tires.

Speaking of which- Yes, Car rides and handles well with the lift, the true test will be with the new tires. Will absolutely keep you updated. Here are the tires I'm thinking of putting on.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Discount_Tires.cfm?pID=2862&pn=DLP-290110241

I'm a noob, and would hate to order tires that don't work, so just want to double check the ones I mentioned above.

Edited by sifu

I would go with the 205/70R15 unless your willing to trim your fenders and lose the front stock mudflaps. General grabber makes a nice tire also, you can get them at sears.

How much more lift are you thinking of going with the spacers? Ive got 2 half inch spacers stacked on all 4 corners in my OBS, plus the 3.5 inches from the strut swap/body lift. I could make you a set of spacers for less than $300, PM me and we'll talk

Edited by impoutback 97

• 2 weeks later...

The Update:

Trailing arm brackets

My guy Terry and I spent an afternoon replacing the rear arm trailing brackets. More info here- http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126884&page=2

Even with an air compressor we had to take it down to Midas to get the bolts loose. Talk about frustrating. But.. It would have been more frustrating to walk away for the day with nothing done.

When finished I thought it would push the rear tire back. Not so. Not at all. But it did seem to give the subaru a bit more lift in the back, so I guess the work was worth it. (50 labor, 20 for the parts). In retrospect, I probably wouldn't have opted to do this independently. It just didn't seem to do much. If you're planning on your lift, it would be worthwhile to plan this into the same day strut swap to save time and money.

Tires

Much more recently I ordered up some 215 70 15 Yokohama Geolanders from Fletchers Auto. Did a ton of searching for the best price on an A/T that will fit this lift, and settled on a price of around $470 out the door with 2 oil changes, an alignment and the road hazard protection.

The Pictures:

PB088137.JPG

PB088138.JPG

PB088143.JPG

PB088140.JPG

PB088141.JPG

I had discount tire test fit (for free) the 205 & 215 75 15s. It was not even close to fitting. As it was I had to spend $30 for the guys at Fletchers to trim the back fenders.

The result:

Drives well. The front tires rub when making a sharper U-turn...I think this is manageable. (I wonder how some of the other guys got the 215 75 15s??!)

The future:

I'd still like more lift.. It looks a little too domestic for my hopes. Fabricated Spacer advice, anyone? And since I purchased unknown forester struts at the junk yard, I bet I can get a bit more lift with new struts. Sadly, the cost keeps adding up....Why should I even act suprised? :popcorn:

And, I'd also like to do some body work. As you can see, I slopped on a new fender for $60 shipped in a couple hours. It's all a learning experience.

The Summary:

Cost of lift

Struts + springs- $175

Terry (Mechanic)-$235

Tires-$470

Total: $880

-----

Wished the money would have gone further. There is still a lot of work to be done. My advice would be to plan carefully, and do more research (it seems). A lot of guys have posted what I had to learn the hard way.

Anyway, will update with any major improvements!

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, I can. I've got to say that I haven't had any problems with rubbing on strut, but like I mentioned, sharper turns are an issue. So far I'm about 1000 miles in. No issues.

I'm planning on swapping the mentioned body components found on this link: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104193&highlight=legacy+lift (REALLY WISH I HAD READ THIS POST FIRST INSTEAD OF LAST, and recommend anyone planning the lift to refer to this post) and putting on fresh outback struts plus top hat spacers to boot...it will be interesting to see how much more lift I can get. For the time/money invested so far, I might as well finish the job. I demand satisfaction! (Would really appreciate some insight on possible geometry problems or other unforeseen issues)

Can anyone verify that I can put on outback struts on forester springs? (Just want to double check)

Also- will there be any major issues with keeping used forester struts in front and new outback struts on back?

Here is what we found:

41483789.jpg#ImgQueryString#

98 Forester L. Unknown miles. Turns out that the backs are OEM and fairly shot, fronts were replaced, seem ok.

It's the 04+ forrester struts that are taller. Up til then, they are barely longer than IMP struts, and SHORTER than 96-99 Leg. Outback struts.

Get a new set of rears for a 99 Outback.

I've seen some great deals on ebay for new struts, just not for my make.

I'd suggest anyone looking to check out there, and have a little patience.

As for an update on the quality of the ride- Took my 2 brothers across town for thanksgiving. Back tires seemed to be making a dull creak noise on just about any bump. Can't be sure if it's the tires hitting the sruts tops or just that the back struts and/or silencing cork needs to be replaced.

Painting car this weekend. Will have updated pictures with new paint soon.