Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric to manual windows???

Anybody ever changed electric windows to hand wind up windows?? I spend 4-6 weeks every winter on the beach in Baja with my subaru and have had electric windows fail twice which is a BIG PITA as I sleep in the car. (I also bring a tent but the wind sometimes blows BIG for days and you get NO sleep with the tent flapping IF the wind is small enouigh that you don't have to take the tent down to avoid it being schreadded!) Just wondering how I might do this to my 90 Legacy..Thanks, Jeff

you can do it quite easily. you would have to source parts from an earlier or less optioned model. parts from a 2nd gen legacy may work.

you will have to swap door panels, or make a hole for the window crank.

perhaps if you ahd a donor it would be less labor to swap whole doors.

roll the windows up to remove and install the track hardware, it is rather accessible with only 10mm tools and a screwdriver.

Id just grab an extra master switch or even just buy a power probe, its a tool you can give power and ground to motors, switches, etc real easily. WOuldn't take more than 10 minutes to pull the door card and power it manually with the probe if you needed to in a pinch.

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=power+probe