Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 into a '83 GL? Where do I get the adapter plate?

sasquatch86

You don't want to run a 2.2 in front of the 4 speed. You will want a 5 speed D/R to take the power and torque of the 2.2. And for the lower "low" range of the 5MT D/R. The 4 speed's are junk.

GD

My 4spd lasted about 6 months behind the EJ in my 84 GL. About the same for my friends '81.

But it worked to get up and running and with the EJ swap, you don't need to do the 5-spd swap at the same time with the EJ.

GLs 1985-1989. Look for mudflaps in the front and back (4WD) and the D/R lever in the vehicle.

A GL-10 will most likely be a Pushbutton 4WD which I suppose is suffice if they put it behind an EA82T... BEFORE the engines blow, they make 115hp, the EJ22 is only ~ 20hp more.

I dont know if a DL would have it...

Not really a good deal - the EA82 is a nightmare and being an '87 it may be fuel injected (which you don't want to mess with if you are going to an EJ). Further the EA82 requires a bunch of modifications to the hill holder, master cylinder, and brake lines as well as notching the driver's side frame rail to accomidate the widest engine Subaru ever made.... the EJ22 doesn't require any of that work as it is narrower than the EA82.

$500 for a tranny is not a good deal.

GD