Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leak in cylinder block cast (Pics)

I may have, I honestly can't remember. If I did it was about 4 years ago

That's good to know! at least my thinking was not too far off.

I too have done this on a 1.8l Impreza crank pulley, except we didn't machine/file it. It was some of the most back woods stuff I have ever done. I bought a new (used junkyard) crank pulley and got the new key with it too. This poor car had huge pile of miles on it and was run ragged. It literally was a $300 car. I replaced the water pump, timing belt, and idlers, put the new key in place, filled in all the wallowed area of the crank with JB and impacted the pulley/balancer on with my snap on MG725 LIKE A BOSS. Let it sit for 2 days, my friend put i think 40k on it like that before a ROD let go. He drove the dog $H!t out of it too. He sold it for $200 and it still ran. clack clack clack clack clack

wow, thanks for sharing, that is quite a spectacle to track down! awesome it ended up being an easy (well, i guess that's relative but you nailed it) fix for you, that's great.

JB weld often gets used in simple situations like this where, in the end, it's not much of a surprise that it would hold.

crank pulleys are relatively easy fixes in a way. hogged out, wobbling, sheared off, key-less, out of round crank pulleys on cone shaped crank snouts will stay in place without nothing more than FT-LBS. it might wear through belts quick but if it comes loose it simply wasn't tight enough, get a 3 foot pipe and have at it! lol not surprising JB weld would do fine in a repair where it's not necessary.

some situations are far more forgiving than others - in the less forgiving ones i've seen JB weld fail and generally don't need it now because the easier fixes usually have multiple repair options anyway.

Another success story with JB Weld. The product is amazing, but really dependent on how clean you can get the surface you adhere it to. Sounds like you cleaned off the oil really well to get it to stick. I would suggest you coat the area with another round of JB Weld. It can't hurt, and maybe add some more support against oil pressure.

Using JB, I wouldn't be surprised if you have created a permanent fix against the oil leak.