Ultimate Subaru Message Board

was redoinging my front disc brakes , because sounded like something rubbing , took it all apart , new clips good pads , but the caliper seems like it is sticking ? ,it is a dual cylinder type , the outside one pops out and in easy , but the inner one will not pop back out, time for a new front caliper ???? thanks

or pull it apart and rebuild it, they're not that difficult to push the pistons out, clean out, install new cylinder seals and put it back together. dual pistons are going to be more but i rebuilt my friends Legacy front caliper for $3 with the kit from advanced auto parts, not much to it really. they're really simple.

or yeah - just swap in another caliper, they're probably cheap and easy to come by.

they're really easy to rebuild. don't even have to remove the caliper from the car.

1. remove the caliper from the rotor/bracket.

2. then push the brake pedal until the piston pops all the way out of the bore. you might want to rig up a clamp or ziptie to hold the other piston in place since it's good or just do them both at the same time. have a bucket/pan ready for all the brake fluid that's going to pour out. pull the piston all the way out of the bore once it's loose.

3. clean the bore and piston, make sure there's nothing obviously wrong, and remove the old and install the new piston seal. it's just basically an oring that goes into the caliper that the piston slides past.

4. install new dust boot and clip (some don't even have clips).

refill and bleed.

there's nothing to it really - you're really just replacing ONE seal, the caliper bore seal, that's it. you'll of course replace the dust boot stuff while it's apart, but the actual repair is just cleaning the bore and installing that one oring/seal that just sits in a groove.

the worst part of the job is bleeding the brakes, the caliper rebuild part is simple. advanced here had them in stock so they should be able to get the kit in a day or two for you.

You just need the reseal kit to rebuild it. Usually I hook up compressed air to force the pistons out, while placing some 2x4 and other wood scraps to keep the pistons from launching.

I rebuilt them on a 2000 Outback, which might be the same calipers as 2000 Legacy. I thought it was kind of a pain. I don't know, I had a lot of trouble getting the stupid piston boots to stay sealed. Maybe I just did it in the wrong order. Both my fronts siezed pistons a couple years later, I think because water got in where I didn't quite have the boots on properly.

Usually now I just get a rebuilt caliper from Carquest. I love that they actually come with the bracket, and already mounted. It makes it so much faster to simply swap out the caliper and bracket. I think they were getting $70-$100 for that (excl core charge).

I've had a few calipers where I went to reseal them, and then when I look at

it, the piston is all pitted up. I'm assuming water got in it somehow.

niglube1.jpg

if you post up a picture of know what style caliper you have, i may have a used one i can send you for like $40.

i shouldn't say "easy" - good catch. it's straight forward but it is tedious at times - seating and pressing the piston in, etc.

every one i've done was leaking or just preventative maintenance. if you and him are having seizing issues - there may be pitting/rust involved and that might be compromising the seal, piston, etc, issues i haven't come across yet.

My experience is similar to Porcupine73, I generally just put in a rebuilt caliper. If I did more of them it may make sense for me to rebuild them but local Advance Auto can usually get them same day if I order them before noon from their distribution center. There are also online places to order from if you have the time.

I have had issues with the bleeder screws breaking on the 14 yr old calipers on my car so I just put on a rebuilt unit. I have done them in the past and have had similar leaking/corrosion issues. Good thing is each of us can do what works for us with all the available parts.

Glad you got it working 86subaru!

When rebuilding, when putting the piston boot on, are you supposed to seat the boot in the bore, and then slide the piston in over that? In hindsight I think that might be where I went wrong. After the piston was in the bore, I just had a heck of a time getting the boot to seem like it was in place correctly in the bore. And I think they weren't, and eventually came loose, and then seized up.

I haven't had any trouble with bleeders. Usually I put kroil on them in advance and then gently tighten loosen tighten loosen more kroil until they get loosened up, then usually I'm working them every couple years at the most anyway so they stay free

When rebuilding, when putting the piston boot on
actually i don't remember, i only run into this job every few years so i don't end up getting to familiar with it. that's how i know it's fairly easy, i re-figure it out every couple years. LOL

i recall that being a thought during the process though....boot goes on when...? it might not matter does it - it just sits on top of the piston so you could install it after the fact as long as you have room to seat the boot in the ridge and the piston doesn't cover that up or hinder that? some have circlips to hold the boot in place and some don't (97 Legacy brighton did not, but all the others i've seen have).

That's right, I forgot about the clips. I think I remember those on my '00, but I don't think I had them on the '96. Last winter was rough on my front calipers, I ended up replacing all four fronts between my '96 and '00. But I had resealed them all myself a few years prior, not sure if it was something I messed up when doing it or not.

wow, you've really gone through some brake hardware. we have poorly maintained and winterized roads here and while I have rust issues everywhere else for some reason I've never had to replace a caliper yet. brake clips i've replaced, they rust and pads hang in them. I bought 3 sets of clips earlier this week, i'm getting into the habit of just replacing the clips now that one of mine hung on rust and devoured the new pads in a few months, they're hard to clean and pitted/rusted anyway.