Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 H6 serpentine belt pulley torque

very few people would torque this bolt, it's benign. snug so it doesn't come off will do it.

i have been checking every H6 i come across and so far every one has needed at least one of the two bearings replaced. i consider these maintenance items, you're definitely doing a wise thing to replace them both.

i'd like to know why they're failing so frequently.

very few people would torque this bolt, it's benign. snug so it doesn't come off will do it.

i have been checking every H6 i come across and so far every one has needed at least one of the two bearings replaced. i consider these maintenance items, you're definitely doing a wise thing to replace them both.

i'd like to know why they're failing so frequently.

Yeah, I figured I'd either just pick some number that seemed appropriate for the bolt size or just wing it by hand if nobody has a value.

thanx

some number that seemed appropriate for the bolt size or just wing it by hand
that's how this one is done, there's so many bolts on a vehicle that you have to learn which ones torque values are important for and which are not - but values are most helpful if you're not comfortable, new to this sort of thing. have to learn somewhere what "that tight" means. hard to communicate those things over interwebs. :drunk:

that's how this one is done, there's so many bolts on a vehicle that you have to learn which ones torque values are important for and which are not - but values are most helpful if you're not comfortable, new to this sort of thing. have to learn somewhere what "that tight" means. hard to communicate those things over interwebs. :drunk:

Yeah, I did a lot of work on cars in the old days without one and never had a starter or wheel fall off, but, dang it, I paid for the thing, I wanna use it! lol!

• 4 weeks later...

just bumping in case anyone else needs the torque values; both seem to be 25 ftlbs.)

03h6serpbelt.png

The noise is still intermittently occurring. After reading that sometimes the o-ring/hose connection to the PS Pump can allow air to be sucked in and cause noise, the next time I drove her car, I exercised the wheel from lock to lock, as the pump would strain at the limits, she says "That's the sound I heard!"

So, I need to investigate that hose deal.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan