Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I just replace all calipers?

Are the pistons sticking or the slides?

If it's the slides replace them with Subaru slides. I remember reading about a person trying several different after market slide bolts and having trouble with sticking calipers from all of them. He eventually found out the aftermarket bolts were slightly larger diameter than the stock bolts, ordered a set from Subaru and it fixed it.

Both fronts are sticking again while driving, the rears seem fine for now but I don't recall seeing too many people with stuck calipers in the rear?

Have you put new brake pads in recently? That's what often causes calipers to stick. When you've got worn pads, more of the piston surface is exposed to the weather, salt, water, dirt, etc. Then when you install new pads, the piston surface with the crud on it gets jammed into the bore and gets stuck.

I've had to fix many like that. I pop the pistons out, clean, stick back and and all is fine unless they are badly corroded and eaten away.

You may wanna flush the fluid first.

I bought a Motive pressure bleeder.

Works slick. ALso makes it a onw person job.

And if you break off the bleeders - well your caliper decision is made.

If you wanna buy some used calipers I probably have some from an Outback or two here. But I'd buy reman myself.

Check the slide pins. Disassemble them, clean with steel wool and wd40, and reassemble with a good caliper grease(silicone)

Usually when i see brakes wearing unevenly, it is sue to stuck slide pins, from lack of regular inspection intrfals.

It;s a good idea to inspect and jube the brakes once a year, even if the pads do not need changed. So that you can take it apart easily when it does need service.

It's not the slides that are stuck but the piston getting stuck and causing uneven wear..

I'd have to flush the system again since I did it about 2 months ago but it's no big deal.

Don't need the motive power bleeder.

So yeah I will do just the fronts.. when I got to my final dest. I checked the rotor temp I was showing 522 F for the driver front and 90 F for the passenger front.. yeah.. If it's anything like the passenger side it's the inner pads