Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what happened?

Hey everyone, i got a question for y'all today, i went to check my oil today and when i pulled off my oil cap i saw a white milky residue on it, so i cleaned it off, then i checked the breather hoses from the cylinder heads, passenger side, Clean, Drivers side hoses looked like thisdownload.jpgi checked the oil on the dipstick and it was not milky, at all, the car does not drink up coolant, none that i can notice, i pulled the drivers side valve cover since that was the side with the milky crap in breather tubes, and it looked like this, pretty clean, and no trace of milky residueSSPX0028.jpg

SSPX0030.jpgcouple very small small drops of water were on valve cover

this is also the side that the ticking comes from, but everything looked fine to me, so what my question is, does anyone know what caused this milky stuff? if it was a HG i'm sure itd be alot worse right? was it just condensation, or do i have a intake manifold gasket on its way out? im wanting to replace the oil pump sometime soon so id like to resolve this problem first, any input would help me tons, thanks guys.

Edited by SoobDood05
picture problems

It's condensation and a sign that your PCV system isn't working at peak performance. Clean/replace all your PCV hoses, get a PCV valve from the dealer, and replace the PCV filter if equipped (carbed models).

GD

Good post.

I was gonna suggest it might just be from condensation given the limited extent of it. And I've seen that before on other cars I've owned (not soobs).

But I guess I never thought about the PCV valve connection - good info. thanx.