Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82 Carburetor to SPFI Intake Manifold

Quidam

Hey Dude,

The SPFI intake has a larger I.D. than any EA manifold I know of and I intend to install something like a DCH 340 Hitachi on this one.

I started looking around for a good used rebuildable Weber to bolt to one of these as I've got about 10 of them.

So yea, why am I doing it? It will flow more air and look better doing it than any of the carb intakes.

Once I make this one and go through the motions I'll know better how to do it for any carb I care to bolt on to it.

I want to adapt a Holley.

Doug

why not just make a new intake that way you actually could flow the air of a bigger carb. you probably could make a steel intake out of exhaust tubing with a pipe bender and some flanges real easy. I thought about doing that once. and then mounting a holley 650 to it.ha ha. but I realized like everyone else. there is no point because the heads wont flow enough anyway. but you probably could get at least more flow than the stock one.

why not just make a new intake that way you actually could flow the air of a bigger carb. you probably could make a steel intake out of exhaust tubing with a pipe bender and some flanges real easy. I thought about doing that once. and then mounting a holley 650 to it.ha ha. but I realized like everyone else. there is no point because the heads wont flow enough anyway. but you probably could get at least more flow than the stock one.

I've got several of these intakes and they are clearly superior to the carb intake. Compare them side by side and measure them.

If some company made an upgrade aluminum intake for the EA carb motor, it would probably resemble this. I'm not doing that much fabrication when this is what's in my hands. There's nothing wrong with it and it's a slam dunk easy. Much better than that POS adaptor to a small intake.

I've never seen flow numbers for Subaru heads and I doubt they're all that bad. Some people talk but I don't see it, considering it's a 109 cubic inch motor. I've been looking for a 350 cfm Holley as I know them inside and out.

More flow than a carb intake isn't in doubt. A simple quality adaptor and mount any carb you want.

Doug

Are you able to use the SPFI distributor and Fuel pump with this setup as well.:burnout:

No. It's going in a carb car with either the 2 wire Hitachi or Denso, as I have both.

I have a 4 wire large cap Hitachi with the spark box I could probably adapt.

Oh, all these distributors have a vaccum advance can, adjustable.

Doug

SubauEA-82PassengerSide.jpg

SubaruEA82SPFIIntakeManifold-Rear-Hitachi.jpg

SubaruEA82SPFIIntakeManifold-Passenger.jpg

SubaruEA82SPFIIntakeManifold-DriversSide.jpg

SubaruEA82SPFItoCarbIntakeManifold.jpg

EA82SubaruSPFIIntake-HitachiCarbDisty.jpg

The heads are "Orange"...what they're painted on the underside from the factory. Carb heads and I still need to find 1 plug for the EGR port in the manifold. One that's in there is brass I had from somewhere, 16 1.25 thread.

Those Bosh wires are stainless with a set of Super Plus spark plugs. Adjustable cam gears...looking for a set of MPFI XT cams for it. Email me floydstoverATmsn.com if you have a set for sale.

Need to finish a short block for it.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

Today I fabricated a flanged spacer/adaptor plate to go from SPFI to carb and installed one 28 32 Hitachi to it. Will do more work on it tomorrow. I'll be able to install a 32/36 Weber when I get my hands on one. Found a vintage dgav with oval K and N filter for $98.00 but I'll pass on that one as it needs a lot of work.

I'm going to order a Weber 32/36 gasket so I can fabricate a plate/mount for one to this flange spacer/adaptor.

Looks like a new bare Weber can be bought for about $200.00, Nothing else comes with them for that price.

I'll get some pictures in the next few days.

Doug