Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another BRAT to the collection

Picked up an 82 BRAT yesterday that wasn't too badly priced. The body is in good shape with some rust in the passenger side door opening and thats about it. Has a grill guard and passing lamp as well as glove box mirror. Has the rear jump seats and head rests as well as the snaps in the trim for a bed cover. Also already converted to 4 wheel disc already:headbang:. Something is keeping the fuel from exiting the fuel bowl so I'm gonna rebuild the carb and the front wheels on both sides have some play in them so I'm gonna rebuild the front end since the passenger side axle boot is torn too. Hope to get her done soon but with the holidays it might be a few weeks. Here's pics.

Photo131.jpgPhoto132.jpg

Photo133.jpgPhoto134.jpg

Photo135.jpg

Planning on doing a 4 inch lift and a built EA81 for her til I decide what to do with my 86 that has a ridiculous amount of back fees and junk due on it. Might EJ it eventually or just keep it EA powered.

what is the paint code, I am seeing 2 colors on that BRAT.

Not sure, will have to check tomorrow. As far as I know the only non OEM paint is in the bed, the tan is original and just hand polished in a couple small spots.

I have something buzzing under the hood by the back of the motor (I'm thinkin starter) when I turn the key past he accessory point that I need to figure out and find the time to rebuild the carb and replace the jets.

So I cleaned out the carb and passages as I was not getting any fuel from the bowl to the jets. Ran air through both passages and carb cleaner as well. All was good and had flow through from the bowl to the jets. Put everything back together and plugged it all back together. STILL NO FUEL TO THE JETS :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:. I will be replacing it with a Weber but I need to get this thing running NOW and SMOG it before I can do anything else to it. Any help would be appreciated.

I tore the carb back apart and ruined my info sheet before I could rebuild it so I hope I put the jets back in the right spots as she still doesn't run but does cough when trying to start if I don't give it gas. Also went by the DMV to register it and found out it's got a few years worth of back fees for registration on it and had never been non-op'd like I was told :mad: Will be a while before I can get her registered like I had hoped and start driving it. However I am getting parts for the lift for myself for the holidays and will get her running and start saving up for registration.

So I switched the jets and still no luck. So I gave the carb an acid bath and replaced the jets in the carb and I STILL HAVE NO FUEL FLOWING THROUGH THE JETS . I don't get it, the jets are clear, the passages are clear, EVERY FLIPPIN THING IS CLEAR. What is wrong? ANY ideas would be helpful, I do not know jack when it comes to engines and what not but it runs when I run the fuel line straight to the carb throat and that is it. The fuel line is not under a lot of pressure but doesn't drip out either. My friend says maybe fuel pump, but I don't know and am not going to throw $$$ at it to make it still not work.

Going to dis connect the starter in the morning to see if that is my clicking sound under the hood when I go to fire it up and try to accomplish SOMETHING with this new project that should not be.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been busy with other things but managed to replace the thermostat as well as burp her as she was running hot. Adjusted the idle mixture screw as she didn't like to idle and also adjusted the timing a little to smooth her out. Runs good but still need to do the wheel bearings and registration/ SMOG before I do anything more.

• 2 weeks later...

Tore the passenger side apart to replace some slop in the wheel assembly and found my axle trashed. Replacing it with a new Empi I ordered yesterday and redoing the bearings at a friends shop with a parts cleaner. Pulled the swaybar off and ordered a replacement exhaust gasket and was given the wrong one. Gotta go back tomorrow and replace it. Also have to redo the thermostat as it leaks like a siv so joy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had to rebuild the front caliper on the drivers side as it was sticking and flushed the hydraulic system the other weekend. Still having issues with the Craptachi so I'm saving for a Weber as I have a friend who can sneak me by the SMOG Nazis check point. Hoping to have that done by end of next month when I bring my 81 down to keep from being eaten by rodents. I'm pulling the drivetrain from my 86 for the 81, otherwise I'd use the Craptachi off the 86 for it.

Still gotta finish making the lift for it but might wait or down size to a 2inch instead of the 4, IDK. Been dealing with a lot of personal issues so this is lagging worse than I hoped. Finally got the back registration taken care of and it's now finally legally mine. Got gotta get through the checkpoint before I can drive er though. Summertime maybe...........

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bug up in me and decided to swap the carb from the 86 BRAT to the 82. Runs like a top and is nice and quiet. Was going to take her for a maden voyage around the block or few but had to go run errands instead. Hopefully after work tomorrow I'll have the tires swapped out and take her for a spin. Then to sneak past the check point and call it a (legal) day and get ready for the lift. Will be getting a Weber still but will wait til I get the 81 here Memorial Day weekend and start swapping the goods from the 86 over.

• 8 months later...

So I did a compression test and found out the #4 cylinder was down on compression so I pulled the engine and replaced it with the one from my 86. Still didn't want to run right so I decided to put a Weber on it and now the rpms race at start up after back firing a couple times through the carb itself. Now what? Tried searching but didn't find anything useful in the couple searches I tried. Any help would be appreciated as I'm about to give up and give it to a mechanic to play with even though I cannot afford it.

Webers are more trouble than they are worth.

Stick with the good running hitachi.

Spend your money on rebuilding one of the EA81s. Get a good set of plugs and wires, cap and rotor.

You could do all that twice for the cost of a weber.

And I wouldn't think the SMOG guys would pass the weber? So you'll be swapping it back off in a year or to to pass SMOG again.