Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air Flow Meter... Adjustment?

Hello all. I have an '85 1.8l multiport fuel injection.

Is there any adjustment to the air flow meter? The car idles very high (2200rpm). Or maybe there is another adjustment I can make. Any help would be appreciated.

you can open the flapper maf and tighten or loosen the clock spring.

but that only adjusts fuel delivery.

there is an idle speed adjustment near the throttle body or like john said the IAC is on the thermostat housing.

it's not weird for an 85 mpfi car to idle at 2200 when cold.

does it come down when it's warmed up?

Thanks for the replies. But here's the deal. I bought the car last week, and the top lid of the air flow meter (4"x4") is missing. There is a spring that looks like what is used on an outdoor thermometer (you know, the round ones that look like a sun). I don't see any adjustment screws, and am assuming that this is just reading the outside air temperature and making an adjustment to the amount of 'real' air flow.

The idle at startup is 2400rpm. Then it eventually goes down to 1200. In stop and go traffic, the idle fluctuates between 1200 and 1800.

Any ideas on where to start searching. I'll check for vaccum leaks tonight and the idle adjustment. Am still unclear on where the adjustment is located on the Air Flow unit.

My other '85 wagon has a Weber. But I couldn't pass this one up. Only 86,000 miles. PW, PDL, mpfi, digital dash, AC, Cruise Control. The original owner was the World Whale Foundation in Santa Cruz. They towed it behind their motorhome most of the time.

Thanks for the help.

The flapper maf cover needs to be sealed.

My money is on that fixing it.

The spring is connected to a flapper door inside. The spring dictates how much resistance is placed pin the door... If the lid its off and not sealed then you are losing and/or taking in more/less air than the box is reading.

Edited by zukiru