Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Took Some photos.

I saw two cracks in the knock sensor.

There amount of contacts on the MAF sensor does not match up.

I took a bunch so let me know what you see. The MAF sensor looked clean from what the human eye could see. That doesn't mean that there aren't microscopic debris on it. Right now, my money is on the knock sensor.

Man... that's a beauty... no visible rust! :) You have some serious leaks, though :( Those should have been addressed when the timing belt was done...

Anyway... there are just two things catching my attention at this point (other than the oil mess and the apparently cracked knock sensor you already mentioned):

- The the spark plug cables are not OEM (are they?). I don't know if that may affect the MPGs, but the collective brain seems to prefer OEM cables (or NGK, if I remember correctly)

- The air filter looks very clean to have 50k miles on it. Still, I would consider replacing it to see if it's restricting the flow

Other than that... I dunno. Try to measure the vacuum to see if there's a leak somewhere.

I can't tell if the MAF needs to be cleaned... one of the local gurus may help you there. I don't think the mismatch in the number of pins is an issue.

I saw you mention your tires are losing air quickly. If those are alloy wheels, consider having the tires re-mounted. That solved the problem in my OBW

I was looking online for a knock sensor.

This site looks sketchy.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/394-07037594.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1990-1996+Subaru+Legacy+Knock+Sensor+Standard+Motor+Products+KS86+90-96+Subaru+Knock+Sensor+1995+1994&utm_content=MC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&fp=pp&gbm=a

Does anyone else have any better ideas? My advanced autoparts store would have to order the part. It's like 50$. Should I take the hit?

I was looking online for a knock sensor.

This site looks sketchy.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/394-07037594.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1990-1996+Subaru+Legacy+Knock+Sensor+Standard+Motor+Products+KS86+90-96+Subaru+Knock+Sensor+1995+1994&utm_content=MC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&fp=pp&gbm=a

Does anyone else have any better ideas? My advanced autoparts store would have to order the part. It's like 50$. Should I take the hit?

I had a CEL, Used the Advanced auto knock sensor & no CEL now & more pep!There is a coupon link somewhere for $20 off at Advance.

Just a little update incase anyone is curious. The new knock sensor was shipped today. I'm pretty excited for when it comes. Today I cleaned out my MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. It took like an hour due to my incompetence and a bolt that thought it would be funny to just disappear. But anyways I got to the MAF and sprayed it 10-15 times. I put the car back together and my heart stopped beating for a few seconds when my car wouldn't start. I tried my best not to panic and reconnected my battery's negative hookup. Luckily the car started. The smell of gasoline was a lot more prominent than before and my idle dropped to about 250 RPM. I blipped the gas and it seemed to be very ineffective. I let the car idle for about 2 more minutes. Blipped the gas again and all seemed well. reversed out of my driveway and drove around the block a few times. Car seemed to be running fine. Idle returned to 400 RPM. Acceleration in first and second seemed more effective. Could just be my mind though.

Decided to listen to my engine as i revved it up to about 5K. It doesn't sound very pretty past 4K RPM. Do you think the knock sensor will play a role in this?

Advanced auto parts listed O2 sensor for 100$ Anyone know where I could get one for cheaper. I'm looking for an OEM/non universal one. Obviously new.

Advanced auto parts listed O2 sensor for 100$ Anyone know where I could get one for cheaper. I'm looking for an OEM/non universal one. Obviously new.

Check the Bosch sensors on Amazon. Good quality product and the best prices I've ever found.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/slide-show/1995/Subaru/Legacy/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Legacy%7C64&Make=Subaru%7C13&Year=1995%7C1995&vehicleType=5&brand=&partsNode=15730891&carId=001

Consider the universal model--it's not difficult to wire up and saves a lot of money. Put one on my son's '92 Legacy and it's been great.

Good luck.

Oxygen Sensor came in the mail today. Thank god for amazon prime! I'm going to try to install it tomorrow. I think I might know where the upstream O2 sensor is because I've seen it when removing the muffler shielding to get to my shifter bushings. I'm just hoping that *is* the upstream sensor. I haven't ever looked for the downstream one so I'm not sure wether it's the upstream or not. I'd assume the downstream was farther down than the shifter linkage. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll take photos tomorrow if I can't figure it out.

I was looking at the photos on this site and I think I have the right sensor location. I'm not 100% sure so someone's reassurance. Incase you are unaware this is a 95 L outback with MT.

If your '95 looks like my '99, the front O2 sensor is the one right behind the passenger side axle. On my car the O2 cable is clamped to one of the engine mounting bolts and it's pretty obvious. The bulbous thing where it's mounted contains the front cat converter. The downstream O2 sensor (actually a "cat condition sensor") should be mounted... well, downstram :D Look for the cable, and follow it (IIRC above the 2nd cat)

Edited by jarl

I just did the Knock Sensor today. Took about 10 minutes because I couldn't get the thing unplugged lol. Anyways I put a few more photos on flickr near the end of my MAF after I cleaned it and the New knock sensor And such. I'm going to try to get my car on ramps and do the O2 sensor tomorrow.

Link to photos: