Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it possible to install a rocker arm without pulling the cam carrier?

Well, who's tried it?

Compress valve and slide the rocker arm in place over the valve and HLA?

I can get the valve to compress but getting the screwdriver out of the way and evenly compressing the valve spring is another thing.

Edited by grossgary

edited the title, mis-spoke. like you figured out tractorpole - i'm trying to get the rocket arm in place....would be awesome to compress that valve enough to squeeze it in. wishful thinking probably...

i'm sure a few folks have tried this before.....who's out there!?

Edited by grossgary

The EA82t in my 86 leaked gas into the intake enough to dilute the oil and make the valves stick. 2 or 3 of the rockers fell out. It's a POS and has computer issues as well, so I didn't really care about it but I needed it to move around under its own power.

With vigorous prybar, hammer, and screwdriver action and the use of appropriate words it is possible to get the rockers back in without removing anything but the valvecovers. You may not like the collateral damage though.

With vigorous prybar, hammer, and screwdriver action and the use of appropriate words it is possible to get the rockers back in without removing anything but the valvecovers. You may not like the collateral damage though.

LMAO! that's awesome, i knew someone had attempted this before!

i suppose i'll just pull the case.

are you serious - the valves sticking due to gas in the oil - then caused the rockers to fall out?

makes me wonder if maybe that's what is happening here? was it the drivers side or passengers? i just assumed it was due to one falling out on install but now i wonder since it did run fine at first start up.....

I'm sure I could build a special tool to do this. It would involve a lash adjuster deflator that could apply constant force via a lead-screw to slowly deflate the HLA. Then another seperate tool to hold the valve open. Once the tool was built it would take only a short time to use it. Maybe 30 minutes to deflate the lifter.

Of course - desiging and building such a specialized tool would probably involve quite a few hours of work. I just built a press adaptor for dissasembling outer CV's from the shaft in a correct and controlled manner. No "pipe trick" as has been popularized by the youtube :drunk: that will likely cause spalling of the races inside the joint :dead: and doesn't work with 100% repeatability. One part of the tool required a machining step with great accuracy that took several hours and another peice required an hour or so of machine work. And the rest of the bulk peices of the press adaptor probably ate up another four hours of time in sourcing materials, cutting, drilling, tapping, etc. There's probably 8 man hours into that tool - and it's a wonderful tool that I will get a lot of satisfaction from using and laughing and the fools using the pipe trick, chipping their concrete driveways, and generally looking like a circus act and swearing at inanimate objects. :lol:

There is probably just as many hours in the creation of a special tool for rocker installation without pulling the cam tower.... likely not worth it for this old of a vehicle.

But I could do it. I'm sure of that. :)

GD

are you serious - the valves sticking due to gas in the oil - then caused the rockers to fall out?

makes me wonder if maybe that's what is happening here? was it the drivers side or passengers? i just assumed it was due to one falling out on install but now i wonder since it did run fine at first start up.....

The amount of gas in the oil diluted it to the point that the engine spun over like it had no compression, so I bet the lifters collapsed all the way too.

I've had a few instances of engines that have sat for a while having the fuel varnish on the valve stems cause the valves to stick partway open.

I had a pushrod drop off it's rocker on a GMC 270ci six, 3 pushrods bend in a Ford 331 industrial, then another bend the next season (I have a pack of spares now), and the rockers drop out in the turbo wagon. The common thread on all those engines is old/bad gas.

I think the computer in the 86 T-wagon is shot because it will run great for the first 20-30 minutes after you hook the battery up, then go into a default mode where it cycles the injectors on about a 50% duty cycle and shuts everything else off. The engine will keep idling when it does this because manifold vacuum is enough to pull fuel from the tank, but it stalls under load. Unhook the battery and leave it off for a month, it will fire right back up again. Either the memory is unstable or a capacitor is shorting or something. It's EJ time for that car.

wow. you have me wondering now as i believe mine has 2 rocker arms that fell out and maybe a 3rd as it had no compression. i've done a lot of these motors and always check those HLA's before proceeding after installing the cam carrier - i find it really hard to believe i didn't catch that right away.

....and it did run fine at first and got much worse - maybe they were poorly seated and just came off? i can hope.

but you have me wondering.

*** if i rotate the cam by hand that *might* show if the lifter is hanging open? ***

• 2 months later...