Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a smoking problem after warming up, Lots of smoke come out the tail pipe. Car has about 75K on it and was getting P0011/P0021, which lead me to replace banjo bolts/filters and then doing the whole timing belt, waterpump,tenionor,and belt posts. At first i would warm up the engine and drive to the store, but when i started the car up again it would idle real low and seam a little off and smoke big time.

Michael My04 Forester XT, 92 SVX

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From reading the posts it said that the code could be the banjo bolt filters need to be replaced, which i did. Then they say to check the belt if that did not fix the code, which i did and its still smokes. Color is off white maybe a bit darker, but lots of it.

From reading the posts it said that the code could be the banjo bolt filters need to be replaced, which i did. Then they say to check the belt if that did not fix the code, which i did and its still smokes. Color is off white maybe a bit darker, but lots of it.

seems like coolant, does it smell sweet, like toasted marshmallows? Or like oil? gas ? Have you checked all your fluid levels?

Was any work done before the smoking? Even something minor, or was there a wreck? An overheating event?

By the way i'm replacing the radiator because it was leaking around the platic top that is held on by metal fingers. I take out the old radiator and i get under the car and see oil dripping down from the downpipe of the turbo. So my fear is headgasket, or turbo leak.

Almost overheated, pulled over and added coolant and after that alway had some handy. Replaced belt,waterpump, tenionor, and all the posts the belt goes around. Replace the termastat yesterday, before replacing the radiator (pending for snow and rain).

It did not hit the red line before i pulled over and stopped.

Almost overheated, pulled over and added coolant and after that alway had some handy. Replaced belt,waterpump, tenionor, and all the posts the belt goes around. Replace the termastat yesterday, before replacing the radiator (pending for snow and rain).

It did not hit the red line before i pulled over and stopped.

what brand of thermostat? Should be from Subaru dealership. Almost all others can cause overheating.

It seems you are proceeding with a lot of work without addressing the 'smoking' problem. You may very well have multiple problems, but, if the smoking is from some serious issue like headgasket failure - you may be wasting time/money and risking more damage by these other distractions.

forgive me if I don't understand the timeline and your present concerns.

Does the exhaust smell like coolant (sweet).

Timeline

1 got codes P0011/P0021

2 Radiator started loosing coolant, which took priority and had to be ordered and shipped.

3 Read up on codes, that had me check banjo bolts and then the timing belt.

4 Ask for help with the smoking from the tail pipe, but some under the hood near the turbo. Smoke is off white, maybe a little on the gray side.

I would like to thank everyone that has asked and is trying to help.

You Guy's and girls are a great help with my first turbo, have 2 svx's but nothing is the same on them.:banghead:

man, I dunno. here's a coupla crazy ideas - dunno where they would lead,

triple check every PCV, vapor and vacuum line routing.

also, consider pulling the plugs out to compare, maybe one of them is distinctly different enough to point to an issue with a specific cylinder - do compression testing while they're out.

consider looking inside the intercooler for oil.

The pipe i checked was covered with oil, i would say heavily coated with it. I'll check the other pipes tomorrow. If i get what your saying is that the turbo is blowing oil into the inteercooler?

Help me out here, its my first turbo.

I only own one and it's my first. And it seems to be working well so far.

try a search on turbo and turbo bearing failure and see what comes up. That's what I did.

Some folks that are modded or run higher boost have to use catchcans or oil separators to keep excess oil out of the intake system. I guess a little oil is normal from the PCV hose - as mentioned, you might triple check that hose's routing and perhaps inspect the inside of it and change or clean the valve itself. Someone on one of the forums recently had some hoses misrouted and they were pulling a full vacuum on the crankcase. Turned the oil light on and 'maybe' starved one bank's valve train of oil. He even heard gurgling when he pulled the dipstick out while idling!

If the smoke is from oil, I can only think of 3-4 ways it's getting out the tailpipe.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Kinda sounds like a dead turbo. Check the shaft for play.

The codes could be related in a round-a-bout sort of way. There are some issues with these clogging ports from what I've read, the screens in the banjo bolts on the turbo clog and starve it of oil. Also the actuators for the camshaft timing advance get plugged up. Well not the actuators, but the ports for them. Then the actuators clog because the oil in them cooks into sludge.

That may not apply to your year vehicle, I thought they didn't have the AVCS until 05, but the Forester seems to always be the first to get the new engines.

I only own one and it's my first. And it seems to be working well so far.

try a search on turbo and turbo bearing failure and see what comes up. That's what I did.

Some folks that are modded or run higher boost have to use catchcans or oil separators to keep excess oil out of the intake system. I guess a little oil is normal from the PCV hose - as mentioned, you might triple check that hose's routing and perhaps inspect the inside of it and change or clean the valve itself. Someone on one of the forums recently had some hoses misrouted and they were pulling a full vacuum on the crankcase. Turned the oil light on and 'maybe' starved one bank's valve train of oil. He even heard gurgling when he pulled the dipstick out while idling!

If the smoke is from oil, I can only think of 3-4 ways it's getting out the tailpipe.

Good luck with your car, and enjoy the turbo driving.

Just got the FSM all 9 Section, its a foot of reading to get done.

My car only has 1 mod, an under drive pully on the crank shaft. I will be looking into the PCV.

Tell me the 3 or 4 ways oil could get to the tail pipe, please.

Kinda sounds like a dead turbo. Check the shaft for play.

The codes could be related in a round-a-bout sort of way. There are some issues with these clogging ports from what I've read, the screens in the banjo bolts on the turbo clog and starve it of oil. Also the actuators for the camshaft timing advance get plugged up. Well not the actuators, but the ports for them. Then the actuators clog because the oil in them cooks into sludge.

That may not apply to your year vehicle, I thought they didn't have the AVCS until 05, but the Forester seems to always be the first to get the new engines.

Can i check for play without removing the turbo?

Pulled the banjo bolts to the AVCS, which had no screens in them and replaced them. Now you say that there are screens on the turbo too? How many?

I belive the my04,05,06 are all the same engine, would they put the AVCS on the turbo earlier then on the N/A?

Thanks for the input.

Yeah if you can get the intake tube off the turbo you can just stick your hand in there and try to wiggle the shaft. If you feel any play it needs to be replaced.

Yes I believe there was a screen in the oil feed line for the turbo. I've read about them having trouble on the Sti and I believe the Forester engine is the same.

I looked on cars101.com and they say the Forester XT turbo got some form of variable valve timing in 2004. I assume it was the early version of the AVCS system.

Tell me the 3 or 4 ways oil could get to the tail pipe, please.

I'd say in a general sense;

turbo bearing

aspirated in through the intake from a hose going to the PCV or the valve cover fresh air intakes

from an atypical headgasket failure

from a cylinder problem like a valve guide seal or past the rings.

If all 4 plugs look the same, that might eliminate those last 2. And if you can confirm the PCV and other hoses are functioning and routed correctly - well, that leaves the turbo bearing. And it 'seems' you might have a lot of oil in the intercooler.

maybe someone else has some ideas.

I will look into the screens into the turbo, as soon as it warms up to freezing (too cold for my liking). The STi has about 100 HP more then mine, but start with the same block then they put in the costly bits.

The FSM calls it AVCS but i only got the spec's for the 04, so i'll take your word that its an early system.

Thats nice and i have one for you. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-TD04-VF39-PNP-TURBO-SERVICE-FREE-SHIPPING-/250756517345?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D575414347881321164

which one is cheaper and which is better? Getting a new core would stop any leaking around the shaft, but would it give me 10 to 20 HP? I can get the porting and polishing for better flow, and have the 18T compressor put in at the same time. My SVX's came with 230 HP and i like the feel of that.

Talk to me tell me why i should go for the core, and not the upgrading?

I will be reading up on the core, i always like to cover all my bases.