Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny swap

84Suby

I have an 84 Subaru GL and I believe it's got the EA81 in it. I'd like to swap out the 4 speed manual dual range for a 5 speed manual dual range. Has anyone ever done this and is an adapter plate needed between the motor and tranny? Are there any other mods that would need to be done to accomplish this?

Thanks.

It is mostly bolt on. use the 5spd and its 2 piece driveshaft. this bolts up to the 4spd's original trans mount, and fits the bellhousing.

you will have to use the 5spds clutch and flywheel, and grind out the engine bellhousing on the bottom about 1/4 inch to clear the starter teeth.

the console wont match, bu there are kits to use the 4spd 4wd lever with the 5spd trans.

search will show you some examples.

In looking for a dual range 5 speed tranny, where would i begin to look? Not knowing which older Subaru's had that transmission? Thank you everyone for the help. I am a new member to this forum and am looking forward to being an active member.

Hi This is Jerry, i make a 5 speed kit for your car want to know more about it call me 1-509-952-2855. Thanks Jerry

I would be very interested in your kit once i am able to locate and purchase the proper transmission and I'd be happy to give you a call sometime. Thank you for your help.

As most on here will tell you, the search function is your best bet...

The linkage is different at least for the 4wd shifter, that is all that I can tell contribute.

Thanks for the tip on the search function. Being new to this forum I was not aware that there was an archive section. After reviewing the archives I see that what I want to do has been done before. Thanks.

look for 85-89 subaru GL non-turbo for a trans you will most likely find them in 85-88

So I just got off the phone with our local wrecking yard as I'm looking for a transmission. They said there is no such thing as a Subaru GL 85-89. Is there another name for it, Loyale perhaps?